Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 320: Easily Amazed

3:22 a.m. Approximately the same time my eyes popped open yesterday. Which led to my passing out nap at my daughter's house yesterday. She actually took a most embarrassing picture of me slumped in the recliner, my mouth wide open, snoring away. I shall not be sharing that picture with you.

I am going to try and get 3 more hours of sleep. But I wanted to document this phenomenon. Talk to you later...

11:39 a.m. Willamette's End Coffee Shop. This is amazing!  Well, I am known to be easily amazed. But amazing!

I am pleased to report that I did get more sleep.  I woke up about 8:00 a.m. feeling most rested!  The tired feeling behind my eyes was gone. My heart was beating a nice slow thump.  I could breathe easily.

I must be doing something right.  So nice to finally have good day again!

I was even more pleased to see the sun peeking through my blinds. So, I took a quick shower and headed outside to hoop. Then I packed up and jumped on the bus. I am due to meet the director of the choir I accompany at noon.  He is going to let me in to practice on the organ for our upcoming concert.

I got to North Portland a little bit early.  Quite hungry!  I was dismayed to see only a Taco Bell near my stop.  I debussed, and started to walk, thinking about what I could have on their menu that would not disturb my inner peace, when I saw a sign for a coffee shop!  It listed vegan and gluten free pastries. My kind of place!  I was so happy as I opened the door.  Lovely smells infiltrated my senses. Soft jazz trickled out of the speakers.

I had a lovely egg and cheese sandwich on gluten free toast.  It was better than most GF bread I've had. It had sunflower seeds in it. And toasted, the consistency was almost like real bread!  I also had a matcha tea latte with just a dab of honey.



It was such a pleasant surprise to find this haven on Lombard Street in North Portland. I sipped my tea happily, wishing I had gotten there sooner.

But I didn't want to keep my director waiting. So I gobbled up my sandwich and guzzled my matcha.  The walk over to University of Portland was glorious. Spring has finally sprung!  So many trees were in bloom. Birds were singing.  And a young man with long, red dreadlocks was doing yardwork in the park.  He yelled "Good morning," and smiled my way. I smiled back.  I told him it was a beautiful day and he was lucky to be able to work outside!

"I'm hiring!" he said with a grin.

"I have a job!"  I said with a wave.

And today I am just simply happy to be me. I met my director friend.  He showed me the organ I will be performing on. It is a small, electronic instrument. But so cute! And sounds almost like a real pipe organ!

He went off to lunch. I told him I lock up.  It was heaven to spend and hour and a half at a college, in a store room, surrounded by sheet music, practicing the organ.  We will be performing Bach's "Magnificat" in May.  I also practiced my solos that I will be playing on my friend's portative organ.  It is small, sits on a tabletop. I can only play with one hand, because I will be operating the bellows with the other.




What a wonderful day!  The negative voices in my head are gone. Only the musical notes of Bach and a feeling a of a well being is permeating my soul today.

I'd like to hold onto this feeling because I know the darkness will return. But perhaps if I remember this day, it will go away!

All I know is it feels good to be alive. I walked around the University of Portland after my practice session. It is blooming with spring!  I walked out to the bluff and looked over the river. Mt. Hood was clearly visible.  Such a glorious sight! I only wish I could sit on the bench, under the trees, looking out over the river with a good book. 

Perhaps another day.  Now I need to head out...








And on that note, I wish you a lovely spring day!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita



P.S. Here is today's hooping video.  Day 274!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...