Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 295: That Deep, Aching Emptiness

I did it! I achieved my goal in Words With Friends, earned a hundred points, and promptly uninstalled the app from my cell phone!

I felt victorious at first. Elated even!

And, as an added bonus my cell phone is running much better!

But then a feeling of panic set in.

And an intense sadness came over me. I felt tears behind my eyes and a tightness in my chest.

I recognized this feeling. It was similar to when I had finished binge watching a television series.  An emptiness inside. A feeling of finality.

All day long I felt a little raw.  I think the game was like a drug for me.  Cushioning me from the realty of life.

I know this sounds a bit overly dramatic, but it feels very real to me.

It is almost like the feeling I got when a relationship was over.

That deep, aching emptiness. Did my obsession with the game create this pain? Or was it covering up something that was there all along?

I am just so thankful that I never developed an addiction to a harmful substance. Like cigarettes, alcohol or drugs.

This has been a difficult weekend. Baby Gracie is out of town with her parents. I thought I would welcome the extra time, but suddenly I feel a bit lonely. Strange. I usually cherish extra me time.

Now I just wish I had my granddaughter here to take care of.

I spent a little time with my son today. It was bitter sweet. I worry about him. I want to fix his life. On the other hand, I want him to know he's loved. Just as he is. I know he is the only one who can make any lasting changes.

After we hugged and parted, I hopped on a bus. I was feeling sad. I wanted to get out my phone and numb my feelings with Words with Friends. But I remembered I had uninstalled it earlier.

A man sitting across the aisle struck up a conversation with me about the weather. I welcomed the diversion. He was very sweet. About my age. A nice smile. Somehiw the conversation turned to addiction. He told me he was 76 months clean and sober.

I did a double take.

"76 months did you say...or 76 weeks?" I asked.

"Months", he smiled.

"Congratulations", I said raising my hand up to give him a high five. "How did you do it? Do you go to meetings?" I asked.

"No ma'am. I just started talking sense to myself. Everyday I tell myself I don't like that drug. I don't want to spend money on it. I don't like who I am when I am using. And I can get a better high on living healthy".

"I agree", I smiled. "Except for an occasional cup of coffee".

We both laughed. He told me he practically lived at Starbucks.

"Me too!" I exclaimed. "But I try to limit the sugar".

My new friend nodded. He said he was too familiar with the sugar buzz leading to the crash later on.

My stop was coming up. Ironically, I was going to Starbucks to read and catch up on my email.

My friend waved at me and said he hoped we would run into each other again.

I hope we do too.

And just think, if I had been immersed in my game,  I would have missed out on a lovely conversation.

And perhaps that is really what is missing from my life. Conversation.

On that note, I wish you a lovely evening.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zits

P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 254!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...