Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 301: Lost Pink Baby Sock and All!

My daughter, the Schnood and I took a road trip today. Just up north to Longview, Washington for my great niece's third birthday.

Oh, what a glorious day for a road trip! Sunny, low 60's with a gentle breeze. We stopped in the drive through at Starbucks to fuel up and then we were off!

I sat in the back seat with the Schnood so she would not feel alone. And also to soothe her if she got fussy.

But she was a baby from heaven. She fell asleep about ten minutes into the journey and slept the entire journey!

Traffic was light and the drive was scenic. I had done this trip as far as Woodland weekly for a few years when I was the accompanist for the Woodland High School choir about 7 years ago.

I have never really visited Longview. Wasn't sure what to expect. Coming into town, searching for my niece's house was a bit of a shock. Was this southwestern Washington or the ghetto in a small town in southern California?

We were quite early, so we decided to explore. Downtown Longview was a pleasant surprise! We found a sweet restaurant ("The Bistro") for lunch.

After lunch, we walked around, exploring some of the antique and thrift stores. And lo and behold we discovered a children's used clothing store. My daughter found a wonderful sling to tie the Schnood onto her hip, a darling hat, and some baby socks.

The Schnood hates wearing socks
 She kicks and kicks until she is free of them.

There is a lone pink baby sock now on the streets of Longview, Washington.

We had a gun adventure, list baby sock and all!

After exploring downtown we went to the birthday party, which was lovely. It was so wonderful to reconnect with family members. And the Schnood had a blast in her sling, attached to her mom, doing some serious people watching.

It was such a treat to have a day of leisure and exploration. I haven't felt this relaxed in many moons.

Speaking of which, I need to take a little nap. My daughter, son-in-law and the Schnood went to friend's for dinner.

I chose a nap in the trailer.

We move door clocks forward one hour tonight. I never completely recovered from last year's time change. I am going to church with the Schnood and family tomorrow. Must get my beauty sleep!

I will talk to you tomorrow.



P.S. I'm loving my Viking red hair!

P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 260!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…