Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 302: Dissonance


It is dusk. I am at the Gateway Transit Center, waiting for the Max green line and watching the sun set. The sky is filled with glorious colirs: tangerine, pink, and swirls of mauve. I tried to capture it in a picture, but my cell phone camera did not do it justice.


 I am looking forward to a good night's sleep.

I may not get it tonight. I am worried about my family member in crisis. I know I will be praying. But my heart is racing, and there is a lump in my throat.

I keep remembering the look on his face before tears spilled from his eyes. I don't know how to help him other than love him and pray for him. He has to make the decision to change. I can't fix this for him.

Sigh. Life is so painful sometimes. But then I see a beautiful sunset. Or the smile of my grandbaby. How can one exist with such extremes of heartache and joy?
Perhaps it is the pain that makes the the joy fill us on a deeper level. 

I am reminded of how I explain musical dissonance to my students. 

Sometimes they stop on a chord and say, "That doesn't sound good".

I ask them how they would like going to see a movie about a bunny rabbit hopping through a field of daisies. For two hours. Just bunny and daisies. No tension. No villain. No car chase scenes.

"Boring", they usually say.

I tell them that musical dissonance, or tension leads to resolution. I have them play the next chord. If they stop on the dissonant chord, it does sound bad. But if they keep going it will resolve. And be much more interesting because of the moment of tension.

Much like life, right?

I wish I would have thought to tell my family member in crisis the story of the bunny in the field. I wonder if it would mean anything to him? It couldn't hurt. I'll call him tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm going to go to bed and see if I can make up for that hour of sleep we lost last night!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita




P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 261!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...