Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 297: Don't Think About It - Just Eat!

I am starting to feel gluten brain fog. And a bit of gluten blues. I wasn't too aware until my daughter called my attention to it.

The Schnood and I had a wonderful visit this morning while her mom got some computer work done. The weather is simply glorious today! So my daughter and I decided upon IKEA for lunch and a walk afterwards.

I had the salmon salad. I should have skipped the flatbread. But I didn't. Shortly after eating, my daughter looked up at me and said, "You're crashing."



"I feel like laying down on the floor", I muttered.

"I can always tell", she said with a knowing to be in her voice. And a trace of a smirk.

We know each other too well.

I explained to her I was in Words with Friends withdrawals. And I had been seeking comfort. Of the edible kind.

I asked her how her weight loss was going. She said she was down a few pounds. But could still stand to lose 10 more.

I sighed. "I'm up a few pounds. Could stand to lose at least 40 pounds".

"How do you do it?" I asked my picture if health, 27 year-old daughter with a baby in a stroller.

"I'm not like you, Mom", she said. Again, that knowing tone. "You think about food when you are not eating. You analyze it while you are eating. And then you regret what you are. I, on the other hand, just eat. Stop thinking about it!" She smiled, and took a bite out of a piece of cake. She offered me a bite. I hesitated. Then I took a bite. I thought about the combination of flavors: chocolate, coconut, butter, sugar. It was divine!

Later, I regretted it. Later, when I wanted to lay down on the floor and pass out.

My daughter does know me.

On our walk around Cascade Station, I told her that I think I had really sabotaged my diet since I uninstalled Words with Friends. I told her it was like the end of a relationship.

I also expressed my frustration with the lack of storage on my phone. She raised an eyebrow at me.

"Here, push the baby", she said.

And about 10 minutes later I had ample storage!

"You can put Words with Friends back on your phone!" She said with a smile.

I love this woman.

So, after all this pain, I have reinstalled Words with Friends. But I have made a deal with myself. It goes way back to when I was raising my children.  My motto is "First you work, then you play".

So I am only allowed to play a few games of Words with Friends after all my work is done.  Waiting for the bus is allowed as long as I am being aware of my surroundings.

Awareness is key.  I need to also be more aware of my eating yet again.

Especially since my daughter and I have restarted our weight loss competition. The first one to lose 10 pounds owes the other person a one hour massage and a healthy lunch.

I think this last week has proved to me that I need to stay away from gluten. Sigh.  I probably should go back to a low carb diet with lean protein and lots of veggies. And minimal sugar.

My daughter reminded me how good I felt last summer when I was sticking to my diet and had just started hooping daily.

One step forward, two steps back.  That is the dance of my life!

But now, I do need to grab something healthy and head to choir practice.

I wish you a lovely evening. Enjoy the sunshine!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita


P.S. Here is today's hooping video.  I do seem to be extra poofy today!Today is day 256.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist