Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 298: The Metronome

Today was a much better day than yesterday.

 I had far fewer moments where I desired laying down on the ground and passing out.

It helped that I was able to spend the day with Baby Gracie. She always makes everything better.

Also, my eating habits were much more refined today. I'm back to cutting out gluten, low carbs, low sugar, lots of vegetables, and lean protein. In addition, I am working really hard on upping my water intake.

I'm still tired, a little blue, and rather sore. But I have more energy, and my heart is lighter. I was able to make a quick stop at the gym. Only had time for a bit of weights, but even a little bit helps.

As usual, my piano students brought me a great deal of joy. My last student of the evening surprised me. She told me she had been practicing with the metronome all week! She was most proud of herself.

I was shocked. Most of my students hate the metronome. I was so pleased to see how much her playing had improved in just a week with regular practice with the metronome. I think because it was her own idea, make her even more proud.

Something about the metronome stirred a memory as I was walking to the bus stop after her lesson. It brought to mind eighth grade. I attended Saint Mary's of the Valley Academy in Beaverton. I was one of the last group of borders at the Academy. Which meant I live there. In a dorm.

I was a most awkward teenager. Painfully shy. But I remember a moment in my piano lesson with sister Francis, where I felt confident. Calm. Not weird. I also recall another time playing the piano with the little orchestra at Mary's. Same feeling. I didn't feel weird, or awkward, or like a miss misfit. I felt confident, calm and capable.

Most of my childhood memories are painful. But those two memories were joyful. And there was this feeling of structure and organization. Almost as if there was a metronome ticking in the background. I can't quite explain it. I spent a good deal of time resenting my parents for sending me to that school. Cried myself to sleep many nights.But after a while, the structure was comforting. And I eventually made friends. I regret that I didn't go on to high school at St. Mary's. But that is a different story.

I never really had much structure my life. I've seen this with Baby Grace. She responds really well to structure and routine.

Which is probably what I'm trying to accomplish. With this blog. And my daily routine of hooping, prayer, piano practice, Bible study.

Perhaps we all need a little metronome ticking in the background of our lives.

That's a strange thought. But I am pretty tired. I need to get up early tomorrow. It's my day off of Baby Gracie duty. And I have much to accomplish. Primarily piano practice. I think much of my angst lately is guilt. I have not been practicing much. And there is a big concert looming in May. I'm going to be accompanying a choir and playing with a small Orchestra. We're performing JS Bach's "Magnificat". And I'm going to be doing a little solo on a real portative organ.

Yet another story. Now it is time to rest.

I will talk to you tomorrow. Have a lovely evening.

Love,

 Zita


 P.S. Here is today's whooping video. Day 257!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...