Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 274: Doppelganger and Samurai Bowling

I have a twin stranger in town. The first sighting was at Laurelhurst Park by one of my students and his mom. The second was this morning at Starbucks. I missed her by just a minute or two.

It was quite early. I was on my way to church, after which I was meeting my daughter, son-in-law and Baby Gracie for bowling. I had slept better than usual last night. But was still bone tired.

I approached the counter, looking forward to a Blonde Soy Vanilla Latte.

The barista smiled at me.

"You need something else?" She asked cheerfully.

"Excuse me?" I muttered, my finger poised in mid air over my cell phone. That certainly was not the question I expected.

She smiled and repeated her question.

"I just got here", I said. I was a bit confused.

"Oh!" She shook her head. Now she was the one looking confused.

"You have a twin! Identical! Her name is "G". She just left a minute ago!"

I told her I have heard rumors that I have a stranger twin in town.

"But my name is Zita", I said.

We both chuckled.

As I found a table, I pondered my double.

We have yet to come face to face. I am not a superstitious person. However, the possibility of looking into the eyes of my double makes the hairs on my arm stand up.

After all, myth has it that if you come face to face with your double, or "Doppelganger" in German (which translates literally to "double goer" in English, you will be in danger, have bad luck, die or all three!

If this myth were true, I escaped my demise by a matter of mere seconds this morning!

Earlier on the bus ride, I had another close call. I rang the bell for my stop and stood up, grabbing the hand strap. Suddenly the bus lurched to the right. I planted my feet in a warrior stance, bending my knees slightly. The bus screeched to a halt. The driver actually threw his arm out to the side as if to break my fall. But I held my ground. The driver apologized and told me it was safe to exit now. I laughed and told him I was fine. I closed my mouth tight before the words, "...because I am a Samurai" came out.

You do have to be careful about how much you share with people.

But I did practice my Samurai skills bowling. I am pleased to announce I significantly improved my game! And we got done in record time - an hour less than last time!

In my study of the Samurai, I discovered the Japanese word "kaizen" which means to continually change for the better. I like!

And Baby Gracie has become the bowling league mascot. She loves the noise, the action and all the attention!

Speaking of Gracie, I need to close. I am babysitting tonight so her mom and dad can have a date night.

I think we'll watch the Olympics!

Talk to you tomorrow.



P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 234!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…