Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 289: Time - My Most Valuable Possession

Hello my most wonderful readers!


Getting off the Max and heading to Starbucks to meet my daughter and the Schnood!

Cascade Station is a lovely site for walking...

...especially when there is a Starbucks at the end of the path!
 My daughter and I have devised a new scheme. Since the Schnood will be 6 months old in a few days, I am not needed overnight anymore.  Three adults, one baby and one dog in a trailer is a bit too close for comfort, I might believe!

So today, I am meeting them at Starbucks at Cascade Station. I have become very fond of this location.  Lovely sidewalks for walking, shops, restaurants...but most of all, conveniently located between my daughter's home and mine. And on the Max line, to boot...what's not to like?



It is 11 a.m. I'm sitting at the Starbucks at Cascade Station with my daughter and the Schnood. My daughter is getting some work done on her computer. I am enjoying a Venti Blonde Soy Latte.  It's my reward drink for collecting 125 stars at Starbucks.  I certainly feel like I deserve it!

I'm entertaining the Schnood with a few books that I downloaded onto my Kindle.





Then we're heading over to Ikea for lunch. I am most excited. I have never been to Ikea!

O.K., I'm a little nervous. All that stuff! I'm trying to "destuff" my life. I've been minimalizing and purging for years. I don't need much to survive. In fact, I feel free not being owned by my stuff.  Except for perhaps my books!

These feeling probably trace back to my father. He is a bit of a hoarder.

But my daughter told me Ikea has a nice cafeteria. And she wants to look at the baby section.  So I am on board!

Uh-oh! The Schnood is getting restless. So we are packing her up in her stroller and heading over to Ikea. I'll report back after lunch.



Lunch at Ikea

After lunch...

Wow!  I love Ikea!

Well, let me rephrase that. I love lunch at Ikea!

I have to admit the store was a tad overwhelming. I had to breathe slowly in through my nose and out of my mouth.

My daughter, who is the logical, left brained, organized one of the family was in heaven. But she kindly didn't make me walk all the aisles of militantly lined things.  We went straight to the kids section which was glorious.

Then we headed over to the restuarant.  I loved the restaurant!

 We were able to stick within our budget of less than $8 for lunch.

We had chicken meatballs, mashed potatoes and gravy, root vegetables and lingonberry jam and ice water. Plus a wonderful view of Cascade Station!

I think it is has good potential!

The next new thing I am doing today is going to a different gym.  I am going to the downtown 24 Hour Fitness. I think it makes more sense coming from Cascade Station to go downtown and then head to teach piano class.

I like going downtown.  Especially if it means shaving time off of my commute.

Downtown has a much different vibe then outer Southeast Portland that's for sure.  I went to Portland State University. I lived in a little studio apartment downtown.   I loved just heading out the door and walking. No worries about driving or parking.

Downtown Portland is most walkable. Big sidewalks. Lots going on. Good public transportation. Very breathable.

I'm going to check out now and go to the gym. I'll report back later.

A view of the gym from the bus stop. 

I love downtown!

I'm back. I am so excited! I made it downtown just in time for a nice short workout and hot shower.

Then  I walked over to the bus stop across the street looked at the reader board and it was just two minutes wait for my bus! The #9 bus heads over the river to SE Portland via the Tillikum Crossing bridge, which is wonderful because it's a pedestrian and public transportation only bridge. No cars! So it was very quick. I got to my destination in 25 minutes.

I am gaining time! My most valuable possession!

I'm actually going to be early for my classes today. I can have time to sit and drink my iced tea. I think I have a new routine!

It's funny how I'll do things over and over for a while and think this is the way it has to be. And then try something new. And it just totally opens up my life.

I could definitely use a longer time in the gym. But my philosophy is: life is so busy, that if I just keep putting things off the never get done. So I do a little bit each day.

I've reached my destination now. I am text talking blogging and walking at the same time!

But I do need t run now and prepare to teach class.

I think I will call this post good for now. Talk texting does encourage me to ramble!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita



P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 248. I was most flattered when one of my piano student's moms commented on how svelte I looked!

Me, svelte?

I'll take it!

I told her I need to spend more time at it. I only hoop an average of 5 minutes every day. But it is EVERY day!

She said it is working! Yay!

But I must offer a disclaimer. I hooped this morning BEFORE my Venti Blonde Soy Latte. I was just in a hurry to catch the bus. That is some speed hooping there!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic