Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 277: Hitting the Floor Running

I left home at 6:20 a.m. this morning. I do better if I hit the floor running in the morning.

I was particularly happy to discover an espresso stand at the Gateway Transit Center.

I am cutting back on Lyft rides over the 205 bridge to Vancouver. Most broke am I!

I can make the trip by Max and bus if I wake up and get myself out the door in a timely manner. And the C-Tran bus in Vancouver accepts Trimet bus passes.

Aside from money saved, my attitude is better if I get moving first thing in the morning.

I spent the morning with Grace while her mom went to work meetings. Then we went out for lunch and did a bit of laundry.

I am still experiencing crippling fatigue. Perhaps a bit less today, but still - most tired am I!

As we were bringing our cart full of dirty clothes into the laundromat, I greeted the attendant, who is normally very friendly, always coming over and visiting with Baby Gracie.

But today, she barely mumbled a hello. Her eyes were glued on the bug screen television on the wall. Breaking news. Another shooting. I stood and watched silently for awhile. We exchanged looks of mutual despair.

I told my daughter about the shooting as started loading the machines. Babue Gracie was sleeping peacefully in her carseat. 

As I gazed on her precious, innocent face, my heart ached for the families of the students in Parkland, FL. 

My heart is heavy now. But more determined to be as healthy as possible in order to spend as much time as possible with my family.

We are watching the Olympics now. I am so grateful that I was able to see Savchenko and Massot skate. Even before the music started for their routine, I had a feeling they would be phenomenal.

They were. 

In a world with much suffering and horror, we are able to witness grace, beauty and the result of disciplined hard work.

I am praying for the victims of the latest shooting tonight. And for all who suffer.

But I am also whispering a prayer of gratitude for having made it this far.

Talk to you tomorrow.



P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 237!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…

Year Three, Day 265: Simple Solutions to Life's Little Dilemmas

This will be a short post. It is late and I am most exhausted!

I had a wonderful day. I spent the morning through early afternoon with Baby Gracie, my mother and my daughter.  Much female bonding.

Gracie and I have quite the connection. My daughter cannot even nurse her when I am in the room because she pauses every few seconds to turn her head and look for her Zma!  It fills my heart with joy to see her eyes light up to see me.

My mother, who had not been feeling well for several weeks came and visited for a few hours.  Her doctor has adjusted her blood pressure meds. She has returned to her upbeat, positive, spunky self.  Thank goodness. I was beginning to worry!

I did many activities with Gracie after her mom left for work. But it is my  mother who has the magic touch when it comes to rocking Baby Gracie to sleep for her morning nap.

I even took my mother's advice today.  I am one of those stubborn daughters that usually does not take their parents advice.  But today when I co…

Year Four, Day 41: The ER

This morning about 4 a.m. I woke up with severe stabbing pains in my jaw.  My whole head, face and neck felt like someone had it in a vice. And was turning the lever.

I had already taken a dose of Thera-Flu before bed. Since Wednesday morning is my time with Gracie, I wanted to make sure I was well rested.  I didn't want to be groggy on Gracie duty.
But with the pain I was experiencing, I was questioning how effective I would be at all. 
I was wide awake, holding my jaw as everything throbbed.  I made a decision to take another dose of Thera-Flu.  The package said I could take one dose every 4 hours.  
So I boiled some water and sat hunched over the kitchen table.  I poured the hot water over the powder. As I waited for it to cool, I put my face close to the cup. The hot steam gave my poor face a bit of relief. 
I was wondering if I had a sinus infection. My throat was sore and raw.  I was congested. Had a bit of a cough. The jaw pain was troubling. Last week when my allergies we…