Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 278: Dark Times




Today is a low day.

My heart is aching for the victims of yesterday's shooting in Florida.  My mind is reeling from all the opinions being plastered all over social media. Debates about gun control, more help for the mentally ill, more work done to prevent bullying, more accountability from the community to report those displaying suspicious behavior...

But in Parkland, Florida, there are grieving families and friends of the 17 people gunned down. I cannot imagine their pain.

One positive note is that the shooter was arrested. Alive. 

Most of the shooters in recent history either killed themselves, or were shot by the police.

Perhaps understanding his motives, his mindset, his life, family and friends will shed some light on how to prevent further tragedies.

I know, I know: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." Indeed.

But the continued slaughter of innocent life is incomprehensible.

I could go on and on. I have before. As many of you have.

I wish I could just go hide in a cave. And sleep for a very long time. And perhaps when I wake up, it will be to a much more peaceful world.

What a fairy tale.  I had a discussion with my son-in-law earlier today. We were at the post office. He pointed out that their flag was at half mast.  We talked about the need for more security everywhere.  My son-in-law is a bow hunter. And a very responsible gun owner.

I told him I would never own a gun. Because I have a temper. And I am prone to depression.

But the truth is, I have matured since my young self-centered, overly dramatic days. Now I believe in God. I am able to sacrifice my needs for others. I am not very materialistic. I try not to harbor ill will against anyone. Instead, I pray for them. I simply do not want a gun because I do not wish to kill.

I would, however, if I needed to defend myself or a loved one. Especially a child. I am no saint.

I have been considering taking martial arts again. Truth is, if I could afford a gun, I might buy one. Perhaps a small pistol.

But not an AR-15.

Funny thing is, AR does not stand for "assault rifle" as I had thought (and apparently so many others do too).

"The name AR-15 (AR stands for ArmaLite, not assault rifle, which is a common misconception) is trademarked by the firearms manufacturer Colt. But since the patent on the weapon's operating system ran out, a host of other manufacturers began making their own variants of the popular rifle."https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/14/ar-15-mass-shootings/339519002/

Apparently it is the weapon of choice for mass shooters because:


 "the AR-15 has soared in popularity" because it's "customizable, adaptable, reliable and accurate." It is also versatile and can be used for "sport shooting, hunting and self-defense situations," the NRA said, adding the ability to "personalize" so many of the rifle's components "is one of the things that makes it so unique...They’re accurate and they can basically shoot as quickly as you can pull the trigger,” 


Interesting.  My son-in-law and I actually discussed the fact that there is a copy-cat mentality in these shootings:

  "But Dean Hazen, owner of The Gun Experts in Mahomet, Ill., and a master firearms instructor, said the reason mass shooters are turning to the AR-15 is due to a "copy-cat" mentality more than any feature of the rifle."
So very sad on so many levels.

How low our society has sunk that some people want to emulate very violent, disturbed people. Instead of heroes, great athletes, great thinkers, great musicians, etc.

We are indeed living in dark times.  I wonder if in the future, if there is one for humankind, they will call these the "dark times".

I wonder what this future will look like?

I am running out of words. I want to find a dark place and just cry.

But I have students to teach.

And that is the little step I can do. Just like after 9-11. I spoke with a massage client. We were feeling helpless. I asked him if he wanted a massage. I felt like if I could do my work, in a kind way and help one person, and then he in turn helped one person, we could somehow get through the pain.

We did. And there are people who continue to do good.  

But sometimes these acts of evil just stop us in our tracks.

Perhaps as we stand still, it would be a good time to just breathe. To think of good things we can do. To be grateful for what we have. And to pray for those who are suffering.

On that note, I wish you a peaceful Thursday.

I will talk to you again tomorrow.

Much love,

Zita


P.S. I managed to do my daily hooping today. Here is the video. Day 238.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic