Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 273: James and the Piano Ninja Code

My mother told me to stop blogging about her this morning.

"What?", I asked sipping my coffee.

She told me that her sister called her concerned about her high blood pressure.

"How did you hear about that?" she asked.

"It was on Zita's blog!", she said.

They got a good chuckle out of it. I told my mother not to worry. I never mention names on my blog.

Then she told me she wanted me to share a picture of James on my blog. It is ok to say his name. He is a cat.  Her very arrogant cat!

He has quite the attitude. Kind of like a cross between her favorite actors: Al Pacino and Denzel Washington! 

Speaking of favorite actors, I shared with her my new obsession. The Samurai.  I told her it started with my watching "The Last Samurai"  with Tom Cruise, one of my favorite actors.

She looked at me thoughtfully, sipping her coffee.

"That explains the hair", she said.

My mother is quite the character. Kind of like James.

But my Samurai obsession continues.  In fact, I am using it as inspiration with my students. I long ago started a "Piano Ninja" practice sheet. Complete with a cartoon drawing I did of a ninja holding music notes.

I tell my students in piano class that they should be in stealth mode "like a Ninja", when they get too rambunctious.

I am now working on the "Code of the Piano Ninja", including such tenets as "respect, focus, discipline"...some I borrowed from my Taekwondo days. Some I thought of with the help of my students!

But I am running out of time. So off I fly. Like a Samurai!

Talk to you tomorrow!




Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…