Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 286: My Swelling Heart and The Ninja Code

Sometimes out of desperation, I come up with the most brilliant schemes!

Take my "Code of the Piano Ninja".

It has been highly successful so far with both my group piano classes and private students.

And this evening, with my family member in crisis.

We met for dinner. He shared with me some life struggles. Just then I felt like a light bulb came on above my head.


I told him about the Code of the Piano Ninja list that I had come up with to help my students behave in piano class. I told him it even helped me in my private life. It reminded me of the tenets of Taekwondo.  (He studies Taekwondo as a child).

I asked him if he wanted to see the list.

He did.

Then it looked like a light bulb came on over his head.

"These are really good", he said looking up at me.  "Can you text me this picture?"

I told him I could.  Then he asked me if I had a pen.  I told him I could write them down on a piece of paper if he liked.

"I am going to write them on my hand!", said he.

And he did! I told him he could call it "The Ninja Code" since he wasn't one of my piano students.

My heart swelled with love for this young man as I watched him carefully write all 7 tenets of the Ninja Code on his left hand.

I told him there was one more.

#8: Don't forget to pray!

He added that one. Then he told me he had to go. He gave me a big hug. I noticed he didn't have gloves. It was really cold out. I told him I had a pair of gloves for him. They were actually mine. But they were kind of big.  I could get another pair later.  He tried them on and they fit. He looked happy.

My heart swelled again. Some day my old heart is just going to burst with all of this swelling!

Like after I spend the day with the Schnood. Which I did for a few hours this morning. My daughter warned me that she woke up to a different baby this morning.

She does that at times.

She was a different baby. More aware. Not one bit whiny. After we had activity time, I fed her a bottle. Then I burped her.  She seemed tired. So I stood up and put her on my shoulder.

I sang her new favorite, song: "Amazing Love".

Within seconds she was fast asleep.

Thinking about it now, my heart is swelling.

But wait, there's more!

After my family member in crisis departed, I sat and read a bit. Then I decided I'd better head for home. It did look chilly.  I stopped at the Safeway nearby. They were out of gloves.  I bundled up, got out my batlight, and waited for the bus.

I stopped at the corner store near my home.  They had worker gloves. Size large. Way too big, but my hands were stiff from the cold. I also got a bottle of water.

I walked up to the cashier. She looked at my size large worker's gloves. She looked at my white hands.

"Do you need gloves?" she asked.

"Yes", I said. "These are a bit large, but it's pretty cold out!" I laughed.

"I'll be right back", she said. "Don't go away!"

She came back with a basket full of gloves.

"Pick whichever pair you want. They're free", she smiled.

"Thank you so much! This is so sweet of you!" I exclaimed.

I told her I had given away my pair of gloves earlier..

"You're most welcome", she said as she rung up my water.

"Stay warm out there", she waved.

I nearly skipped down the street. It is true, that I find it most fulfilling to help those in need. But I am rarely the recipient. And it did feel good!

On that note, I wish you a lovely evening.

Talk to you tomorrow!



The Schnood and I

P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 245!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…