Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 291: My Mr. Magoo Day

My eyes popped open at the stroke of 5 this morning. I glanced at my cell phone. I had forgotten to set my alarm. Most alarming!

I had promised my daughter that I would be at her trailer this morning by 8:30 to babysit the Schnood while she goes to a most important work meeting.

Must not be late!

6:53 a.m. Clackamas Town Center Max Station. Sitting on the Max train. It departs in 8 min. What better time to blog?


I am proud of myself. I did not go back to sleep. I got vertical and made my traveling salad, packed and caught the 6:40 a.m. bus. I even had some time to play a few rounds of Words with Friends. That wakes me up faster than a cup of coffee! Especially since I am finally winning most of my games! (With the exception of my son-in-law. I have only beat that rascal once!)

Getting off the Max soon.  Talk later...

Later:

I made it to Vancouver exactly on time!  I feel a little foolish for having taking Lyft for so many months when Baby Gracie was first born.  It was beyond my means financially. But in retrospect, my granddaughter was worth it. I was exhausted, from my bronchitis and lack of sleep.

It's only money, right?

But my commute is really quite pleasant.  I took the bus to Clackamas Town Center at 6:40 a.m. Hopped on the Max which left 5 minutes after I arrived.  Transferred at Gateway, after I stopped at the espresso stand.  There was a new barista there. She seemed a little flustered. I asked her what sugar free syrups they had. She bumped around in her little stand for awhile and then told me she only had hazelnut.

I told her I didn't really like hazelnut, so I had her put just one shot of Irish Cream in my soy latte.  With a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top.

"This is really good!" I told her.

She smiled. I sensed that she was stressed out. She told me it was her second day at that stand.  I noticed her scarf. It was black with white skulls on it.

"Cool scarf!" I said.

"Thanks!" She said, brightening and standing up taller.  She seemed happy to talk about something other than coffee. "Kids like it", she smiled.

"My piano students would probably like it", I smiled back.

"Oh! You teach piano! I teach music too!" she squealed.

We talked a bit about music, kids and teaching.  Then I grabbed my hot, sweet drink and headed to my stop.

As I crossed the tracks, I looked up and there was the Max Red Line to the Airport. I literally had a 4 second wait!

I am so glad I took the time to talk to the stressed out barista.  I hope her day went better today!


Have I told you how sometimes I feel like Mr. Magoo?

Well today was such a day.  I stepped on the Max Red line with my coffee, still smiling from my barista encounter.  The next stop was Parkrose Transit Center. I stepped off and walked over the freeway overpass.  I noticed that the Max was quite packed. Thad made me happy.  I love when people take public transportation.

A large group of us walked over the freeway. I glanced down.  Traffic was bumper to bumper. It was about 7:25 a.m. Rush hour. I shuddered.

I headed up to the #65 Parkrose Express stop.  Another Mr. Magoo moment. The bus was due in just 6 minutes.

And right on the dot, there it was! The Parkrose Express is amazing. It takes approximately 10 minutes from the Parkrose Transit Center to Fisher's Landing Transit Center in Vancouver. No stops in between.

I settled down in the plush seats and sighed.  So far so good!


My daughter had asked me to be at her trailer by 8:30 a.m. I got off the Parkrose Express bus and hopped on the #37 Mill Plain. I waited a mere 4 minutes.





I hopped off the bus and walked two blocks. I literally knocked on my daughter's door at 8:30 a.m.!

I am woman, hear me roar!

The Schnood has a bit of a cold. So does my daughter. But she headed to her work meeting. On time. She left me a bottle and had a "Baby Einstein" DVD playing.

Even though Baby Gracie was a bit under the weather, we had a wonderful morning. She did not fuss or whine once!  We watched Baby Einstein, read a few books, did some activities - she likes sitting in her walker now.  She ate and then she put her head on my shoulder. I hummed a song and she instantly feel asleep!

She took a nap on my shoulder for about 40 minutes.

She has never taken a nap without fussing before.

I felt highly honored.

And it made everything in my life seem very small in comparison.











Just when I thought my day could not get any better, my daughter called. She was on her way home and "starving"!

She told me that she was going to feed the Schnood and then take us out to lunch.

We both said, practically in unison, "The Golden Corral!"

My mother told me a few weeks ago that the whole city of Vancouver was looking forward to the grand opening of the Golden Corral.

We had gone online and looked at pictures. It looked like food paradise.

It was!
I was pleased to find a lot of vegetables to fill my plate.  I did indulge in some meatloaf, and a small piece of chocolate cream pie. But otherwise, mostly veggies and chicken.

It was really busy, but I was impressed by their system. They had young people with walkie talkies walking around, ushering people to their tables.

Baby Gracie was in heaven. She loves people watching!


I had packed my mobile salad, but I kept it in my daughter's fridge. It would be perfect for dinner!

After lunch, we headed to Fred Meyer's. I told my daughter she need to make "flu soup" for dinner. Her husband is also sick.

We picked up lemons, chicken stock, garlic, onions, celery, carrots, parsley and a whole chicken.

She cooked the chicken in her Instant Pot with the garlic, onions, celery and carrots. After the chicken was cooked, she boned it and discarded the veggies.  Then she put the stock in the pot and added the lemon juice, salt, pepper, parsley and chicken.

It smelled divine!

I was getting ready to run and catch my bus back to Portland when my daughter's father stopped by for a visit.  He was heading to Portland, so he dropped me off at the Max station.

I was overjoyed to find that I had time for a little workout before my students!

At the end of the evening, I was dragging, however.  The thought of the bus ride and 3/4 mile walk on a cold, dark, rainy night seemed to be more than I could handle. I suddenly felt like I hit a wall.

So I went to Laughing Planet. I ordered a hard cider, chips, salsa and guacamole. I got out my bible, books and prayer journal. And I had a lovely evening decompression time.  I took a deep breath. And felt very thankful for the day.

Then I opened up my Lyft app and ordered a ride home.  It was only $10.

And well worth it. My driver arrived in 3 minutes, in keeping with my Mr. Magoo day. He was a friendly young man who just drives part time for Lyft.  He is busy getting his business off the ground.

He is in the cannabis delivery business.  I got an ear full of the benefits of cannabis and how the government has been brainwashing us to believe that alcohol is safe and cannabis in harmful.

It was really quite interesting.

But I think my one glass of hard cider every few months is about all I can handle. I like a clear head.

Although my new friend says topical cannabis is really great for joint pain!

I think I stick with working out. But I wished him the best in his business endeavor.

And here I am at home again.

After a wonderful Mr. Magoo day!

On that note, I wish you a lovely evening.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 250!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic