Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 270: Onna-bugeisha

Thursday, February 7, 2018. 10:30 a.m. I've had a lively morning with Baby Gracie so far. She is sleeping much better, thanks to her mama's patient sleep training. And the addition of a bit of baby oatmeal mixed with breast milk at her evening feeding. I have been with her the last several nights. I make sure she also gets her bedtime story, Good Night Moon.

She woke up 8 a.m. in good spirits. We did some baby stretches and read some more books before her mom and dad got up to get ready for work.

Then I fed her, burped her, changed her diaper and we had a nice tummy time session.

She started getting a little fussy, so I put in a "Baby Einstein" DVD and rocked her. She fell asleep almost instantly. It is so lovely rocking a sleeping baby. So I watched her DVD about baby animals before putting her in her crib.

I actually watched the DVD once again while she slept. Baby Einstein is very peaceful. Grace is mesmerized by the DVD's. They have primary colors, music and just a few words. The images on the screen move slowly. I could take a nap too!

But I got up and made a cup of hot cinnamon tea. And made a bowl of oatmeal. Before I ate, I stepped on the scale. Today is weigh in day. My daughter and I are having a weight loss contest. The loser owes the winner a 1 hour massage and lunch. A healthy lunch.

I was pleasantly surprised. I lost 1.6 pounds this week! Even with my binge weekend! My daughter has lost 1 pound, so I am in the lead! Woot Woot!

Living like a Samurai is paying off!

And speaking of Samurais, I discovered that there were female Samurai!  They were called "Onna-bugeisha" which literally means female martial artist. One of the reason s women were trained as warriors was to protect their families during times of war, when no men were present.

I am using this time while Gracie naps to further my study of the Samurai. In addition to female Samurai, I was pleased to learn that the Samurai were quite educated! Read this:

"Bushido {The way of the Samurai} dictated that a samurai strives to better himself in a multitude of ways, including those unrelated to combat. This is why the samurai class participated in a number of cultural and artistic endeavors. Poetry, rock gardens, monochrome ink paintings, and the tea ceremony were common aspects of samurai culture. They also studied subjects such as calligraphy, literature, and flower arranging."

But now I need to run and teach my piano students.

またあした, mata ashita! (See you tomorrow!)



My Samurai lunch!  Roasted root vegetables with a red pepper sauce at Rally Pizza in Vancouver!

P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 230! 


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…