Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 266: A Party Animal!

It is quite late Saturday night. I just got home from my nephew's birthday celebration.  He gave me a ride downtown afterwards so I could catch a bus home. I didn't want him to go out of his way. So I told him to just drop me on the bus mall on his way home.  We have really nice chats during these drives.  I am jumping up and down inside my brain with excitement. He is going back to college, majoring in engineering!  It is the perfect major for him. He is highly intelligent, but introverted. He dropped out of college the first time around.

I didn't want show too much enthusiasm. All the kids in our family are a tad rebellious. Myself included.  We like to make our own life choices.  We don't like being told what to do.  A family curse, I guess.

So I listened to his plans and asked a few questions, inserting a few "cool!" comments and told him I would be happy to help him with anything, just ask.

I wanted to do a happy dance as I exited the car.  So wonderful when the adult children start making positive life choices!

My son is next. I love him just the way his is, but there is so much potential for him...but don't get me started. My daughter would roll her eyes in dismay when I would break into my "potential" lecture when she was in middle school. Sigh...

Anyway, as I walked downtown to the bus stop, I realized it was a mild Saturday night and downtown was bustling with activity!  It felt like a summer night.  I slowed my pace and walked about, watching people, picking up on the carefree energy in the air.

Today was a very good day.  My routine was altered a bit. Usually I have breakfast with my mom every Saturday morning. Then we drive up to the church where I teach and start out with her lessons. Then back to back piano lessons for another 6 hours.

But today I didn't teach at all! I started my morning at the music center accompanying the children's choirs.  I was helping my friend who was subbing for the usual director. I love accompanying choirs. Especially children. They have such pure voices.  The music the director selected was lovely. And I picked up some singing and breathing techniques from my friend.

After choir, I had a light lunch and then picked up some produce for the "big salad" I planned to make at my brother's house for my nephew's birthday celebration.

It was a nice relaxed get together.  My brother made the most amazing smoked brisket.  I made my big salad. My nephew made a yummy potato casserole.

Ok. True confession here. I pigged out!  I ATE GLUTEN!

Much to the glee of my niece.  I am hounded relentlessly by my mother and brother about my gluten free lifestyle. They made a big deal about me eating a piece of cornbread.

It was so incredible.

I didn't stop there. I had chocolate cake and ice cream for desert.

Tomorrow I go back to clean eating.  Lots of water, vegetables and fruit. It will be interesting to see if I suffer any consequences.

I also had a hard cider. I was a party animal!  I stayed late and played a board game, where we all laughed until tears came.

So what is a little tummy trouble if I get to let my hair down once and awhile?

I know how to get back on track!

At least I hooped this morning! And here is the video to prove it!



But now I must get some sleep. I have Baby Gracie duty tomorrow!  And my daughter texted me that the "Baby Einstein" DVD's she ordered have arrived. I am so looking forward to watching them!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic