Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 266: A Party Animal!

It is quite late Saturday night. I just got home from my nephew's birthday celebration.  He gave me a ride downtown afterwards so I could catch a bus home. I didn't want him to go out of his way. So I told him to just drop me on the bus mall on his way home.  We have really nice chats during these drives.  I am jumping up and down inside my brain with excitement. He is going back to college, majoring in engineering!  It is the perfect major for him. He is highly intelligent, but introverted. He dropped out of college the first time around.

I didn't want show too much enthusiasm. All the kids in our family are a tad rebellious. Myself included.  We like to make our own life choices.  We don't like being told what to do.  A family curse, I guess.

So I listened to his plans and asked a few questions, inserting a few "cool!" comments and told him I would be happy to help him with anything, just ask.

I wanted to do a happy dance as I exited the car.  So wonderful when the adult children start making positive life choices!

My son is next. I love him just the way his is, but there is so much potential for him...but don't get me started. My daughter would roll her eyes in dismay when I would break into my "potential" lecture when she was in middle school. Sigh...

Anyway, as I walked downtown to the bus stop, I realized it was a mild Saturday night and downtown was bustling with activity!  It felt like a summer night.  I slowed my pace and walked about, watching people, picking up on the carefree energy in the air.

Today was a very good day.  My routine was altered a bit. Usually I have breakfast with my mom every Saturday morning. Then we drive up to the church where I teach and start out with her lessons. Then back to back piano lessons for another 6 hours.

But today I didn't teach at all! I started my morning at the music center accompanying the children's choirs.  I was helping my friend who was subbing for the usual director. I love accompanying choirs. Especially children. They have such pure voices.  The music the director selected was lovely. And I picked up some singing and breathing techniques from my friend.

After choir, I had a light lunch and then picked up some produce for the "big salad" I planned to make at my brother's house for my nephew's birthday celebration.

It was a nice relaxed get together.  My brother made the most amazing smoked brisket.  I made my big salad. My nephew made a yummy potato casserole.

Ok. True confession here. I pigged out!  I ATE GLUTEN!

Much to the glee of my niece.  I am hounded relentlessly by my mother and brother about my gluten free lifestyle. They made a big deal about me eating a piece of cornbread.

It was so incredible.

I didn't stop there. I had chocolate cake and ice cream for desert.

Tomorrow I go back to clean eating.  Lots of water, vegetables and fruit. It will be interesting to see if I suffer any consequences.

I also had a hard cider. I was a party animal!  I stayed late and played a board game, where we all laughed until tears came.

So what is a little tummy trouble if I get to let my hair down once and awhile?

I know how to get back on track!

At least I hooped this morning! And here is the video to prove it!

But now I must get some sleep. I have Baby Gracie duty tomorrow!  And my daughter texted me that the "Baby Einstein" DVD's she ordered have arrived. I am so looking forward to watching them!

Talk to you tomorrow!




Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…