Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 275: Zzzzzita

I saw a coyote Friday night.  I walked home late in the evening.  I had taught piano classes and then stopped at my favorite little Mexican restaurant.  Friday's special is fish tacos, rice, beans and a drink for $6. 

I usually linger, reading and people watching until after about 8:00 p.m.

This leaves me walking 3/4 miles home about 9:30 p.m.  On a road with no sidewalks, very little street light. And no bus service after about 6:30 p.m. I usually walk on the side of the road, in the bike lane. I listen to Clyde Lewis on my radio. And I pray that no one swerves off the road and sends me to meet my maker before I'm good and ready.

I actually look forward to my walks. But walking in the dark is probably rather foolish. 

Thank goodness for my Samurai revelation. 

So, there I was Friday night, so incredibly pleased with myself. Walking briskly in the dark with my backpack on my back, ear buds in my ears and batlight illuminating the path in front of me and hopefully making me quite visible to passing cars.

As I cut through the church parking lot, I saw what looked like a dog. He was standing underneath a street light. His eyes glowed as he stared at me. I stopped in my tracks. The hair on my arms stood straight up as I realized this was no dog.

But he was larger than the few coyotes I have seen in Portland over the years.  Plumper too. But he had the wild in him.  His nose was pointed slightly up. His eyes gleamed as he stared me down. He had long slender legs and a beautiful gray coat.  He almost looked like a small wolf.

I knew better than to move.  We studied each other for a moment or two. Then I tightened the grip on my batlight, just in case I needed to defend myself. He sensed the movement. And slowly turned around and gracefully trotted down the street.  I wonder if he had a family somewhere?

The hairs are standing up on my arms just recalling our encounter.  Something about a wild animal in the city stirs me deeply. Especially when we are aware of one another. 

The week before, I saw a family of raccoons crossing the street.  One tends to see more wildlife in the evening.  But they did not see me.  It is more profound when they see you. And look into your eyes. 

Almost like a challenge.  It was as if he was saying, "I live here too.  Are you ok with that?"

I do enjoy experiencing the unexpected in my wanderings. 

It tends to wake me up.

And Lord knows, I need waking up!

It occurred to me today, as I gazed at the Columbia River through the window of the bus crossing from Washington to Oregon, that I have been tired most of my life.  There have been moments of energy bursts and awakenings, but mostly I feel like I have been sleepwalking my whole life.




Part of it is my trouble sleeping.  Last night I spent the night in my daughter and son-in-law's trailer. After bowling, they dropped me off at a Starbucks so I could blog, and do my online music course.  Then they picked me up and I helped with Gracie's bedtime routine. My favorite part is her bedtime story. I think it is one of her favorite's too! We always read Goodnight Moon. On every page, I ask her where the little mouse is. Last night, I swear she pointed to him!

She went to bed easily, but I was overcome with another coughing fit. I used my inhaler. I drank tea.  But I coughed most of the night. Sometimes I sleep in their recliner, but it is most uncomfortable. Last night I slept on a mat on the floor. But I didn't realize how cold it was going to get last night.  Below freezing.  I tossed and turned, coughing and trying to get comfortable as I tried to ignore the drafts seeping into the trailer.

I had a nice strong cup of tea earlier. I am on my way to teach now. But I called my nurse practitioner to get an appointment for next week. My daughter is wondering if I should have my heart checked. I am wondering if I have should have my blood sugar checked. Because I get super tired after I eat. Especially if I eat a lot of carbs. 

I am certain I have sleep apnea. 

I would just love to stay awake to enjoy the rest of my life!

I am guessing I will get a second wind early this evening.  I suspect I am nocturnal. Like my wildlife friends. 

Perhaps I should try and schedule afternoon naps?


That sounds really nice right now!

Even though I am struggling with my health, I am continuing to exercise. Daily hooping and walking. And when time permits, weight training.

I also tell myself that a Samurai does not take the elevator. I am taking stairs whenever possible!

On that note, I need to head out.  The music center where I teach has many stairs. I want to get there early and brew another strong cup of tea. So that I stay awake for my students!


Talk to your tomorrow!


Love,

Zzzzzita




P.S. Here is today's hooping video. I will not let a bit of fatigue stop me! This is day 235! :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic