Skip to main content

Yeart Three, Day 269: Zita, Urban Warrior

As I was packing up to leave the home of my first student's house this afternoon, his dad looked at me and said, "Zita, you are looking like quite the urban warrior!"

I laughed out loud! I told him he was not the first to mention my get up.

"Don't get me wrong", he said. "It is very cool. You look like you are prepared for anything!"

He pointed at my fanny pack, with the window for my bus pass, and the Starbucks cup conveniently lodged in the cup holder. And he motioned to my sunglasses perched on top of my head.

I told him my son-in-law insisted on buying me an ergonomic pack. With side straps to help support my back.

What I didn't tell him is that after watching "The Last Samurai", that my secret wish was to be a Samurai! That might be pushing it a little bit.  It would be nice if my piano students' parents believed me to be sane.


But I have been reading about Samurais. I even downloaded a few books onto my Kindle.  Did you know that some Samurais were secretly Christian? Researchers have found evidence on their swords, which were engraved with hidden crosses. Or pictures of Jesus and Mary disguised to look like the Buddha!

I have also been reading about Ninjas.  They were a different class entirely. The Samurais were elite warriors, serving the Emporer. But Ninjas were very secretive.  In fact, they had day jobs, so one might be working with  Ninja, and not even know it!

I often refer to piano students and "Piano Ninjas", especially when they are in group lessons and I need them to be quiet and listen. I tell them to be in "stealth mode". I even have Piano Ninja practice sheets that I have created. 

Everyone loves a ninja it seems!

But I am more drawn to the Samurai.  Their discipline, loyalty and dedication to their art. Their "bushido" which translates to "warrior code". 
My Samurai Salad

I decided I am going to lose weight and get in shape like a Samurai.  

My results so far, just one day in have been remarkable!

I am indeed prepared for everything, for in my backpack I carry a small bottle of olive oil, salt, pepper and a head of garlic. I carry a small  knife in my purse.  Before my students today, I went to Fred Meyers. I stopped at the salad bar and loaded a plate with  mostly lettuce, a few olives, cucumbers, shredded carrots and mushrooms.  Then I went to the produce section and picked up a lemon. They give free ice water at Fred Meyers.  

So I sat down and prepared my Samurai salad.  I minced two cloves of garlic, drizzled olive oil and the juice of half a lemon on my salad. Then I seasoned it salt and pepper. I used the other half of the lemon to add to my ice water.

It was yummy!

I must admit I have still been feeling quite under the weather since my weekend binge. Especially the Cheetos incident.

But shortly after eating this salad, I felt a burst of energy! My head and joints no longer hurt. I felt alert, without caffeine!

Most excited am I!  

But now, I need to get ready for choir practice. I am heading back over the river again tonight. I have Baby Gracie duty again tomorrow. This week I am spending a lot of extra time with her because my daughter has many work projects.

またあした, mata ashita (See you tomorrow!)




Zita, Urban Warrior 


P.S. Here is today's hooping video! Day 229!




Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…