Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 290: The Eating Habits of a Mobile Piano Teaching Grandma


Relaxing and contemplating over breakfast at Larry's Restaurant



Hello Again!


I am blogging from my favorite place. The library.  The talk-text blogging is a nice back up, but I feel more comfortable in front of a computer, fingers flying.  I attribute my ninja typing skills to my piano lessons.  I was once timed at 140 wpm!

I also just love the vibe in the local library.  I feel comforted surrounded by books, people reading books, and the soft click of computer keys as other patrons access the internet.

I like being alone in a crowd.

But what I really want to talk to you about today is food.

My love/hate relationship with food has pervaded my entire adult life.  And now, I think I may have stumbled upon a solution!

Homemade instant rice noodle soup! I've been planning this for the last few days. I got the idea reading about homemade "cup o' noodle" soup in a mason jar.  It's all the rage on the internet.

Yesterday I bought a lovely glass pyrex bowl with a locking lid, some "Better Than Boullion Chicken" flavoring and some rice noodles.

This morning, I visited a produce market. I picked up some fresh vegetables, fish sauce and "sambal oelek" chile paste.

Then I took myself out for breakfast.  Today is my day off of Schnood duty. I needed some down time to read, study and pray.  Larry's Restaurant is one of my favorite hangouts for reading and eating.  Plus, my bill was less than $8. My limit for restaurant eating.

After breakfast, I felt like a new woman.  I must admit, I have allowed sourdough toast back in  my life. So far, I have not suffered much. Just a bit of bloating.  I have increased my exercise and water intake.  Plus I am just finishing another (and hopefully my last!) course of Prednisone. The cough is gone.  I feel really good.

But I am wondering how I will feel in a few days when the Prednisone wears off?

In the meantime, I am arming myself with my new eating plan, lots of exercise, rest, water and positive thoughts!

Anyway, back to my new food regimen.

My noodle bowl was da bomb!  I put about a teaspoon of "Better Than Boullion" chicken flavoring in the bottom of the bowl. Squirted a slice of lemon on top. Broke up  a handful of rice noodles and put them on top. Poured about a cup of bowling water in the bowl and then covered it for about 5 minutes. Then I added a few sliced mushrooms, torn up cilantro, sliced green onions and a squirt of fish sauce. I topped it off with about 1/2 teaspoon of sambal oelek.

OMGoodness!

So clean tasting. And full of flavor! Definitely a hit. Cheap and fast to make. And so healthy! Yay!

Homemade Instant Rice Noodle/Veggie Soup!

The next part of my new regimen is packing a healthy salad for the road.  I put about a tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom of my lunch container. Then I layered chickpeas, olives, romaine lettuce, and shredded carrots on top. I placed a lemon slice on top of the salad. In the top compartment, I placed sliced mushrooms, shredded parmesan cheese and sliced green onions.

When I get to my destination, I will squirt the lemon on top of the salad and mix the top ingredients in.  I can hardly wait!
My Mobile Salad!

I also made a thermos of tea for the road.

I am woman, hear me roar!

On that note, I wish you a lovely evening.

I will talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita




P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 249!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...