Skip to main content

Day 192: Mmmm....I LOVE Me a Frittata! :)






I love making frittatas. It's so simple, healthy and impressive looking!

Today Frittattas of the Day has sauteed mushrooms, potatoes, onion, garlic, butternut squash and kale.  I just through them in the skillet with a bit of olive oil. Everything was leftover except for the mushrooms, so it only took a few minutes to warm everything up. Then I whisked 5 eggs with some almond milk and poured it in the skillet, and topped it off with some shredded mozzarella cheese. I cooked it until it firmed up - about 7 minutes. Then I put the skillet in the oven and broiled it until the top was golden brown.

It slices up nicely, like a quiche!

Happy tummy!

I am determined to have a happy day. This cloud of doom and negativity that has been with me is eating into my soul. I am grieving the loss of innocent life. I am worried about my family and the future of our world. But in the meantime I have a life to live.

I am attempting to limit my online time, especially Facebook. I had a timer set for 20 minutes this morning. I changed it to 25, lol.  But that is it for now!

Last night was so cold and windy coming home from teaching. My umbrella went inside out and broke in the harsh wind. I tossed it in a trash can and stopped at Fred Meyer's. I bought four more pairs of gloves for any cold people I should meet. Their umbrella supply was very low, but I was so happy to find a clear plastic "bubble" umbrella with bright polka dots! I had one like this when I was a kid. I didn't know they still made them. I'll try to get a picture later.

As I waited for the bus, an older gentleman came and sat on the bench in the covered bus stop. He smiled at me. He had no cap, and hardly any hair to cover his cold, wet head. His hands were bare and his coat was old and ragged. I greeted him and talked about the weather. Then I said, "Your hands look so cold. I have an extra pair of gloves. Would you like them?" His face lit up and he chose a bright purple pair.

"God bless you, my dear" he said over and over again. And then he patted me on the shoulder as the bus came and walked off into the night. I am guessing he was homeless and was just seeking cover from the rain.

I spoke to another woman earlier, who told me she was homeless for twelve years in Portland, but finally has gotten back on her feet again. She said on days like this, she would stop by the Belmont Library (my hangout!) and go into the bathroom. She said the hand dryer put out so much heat, she would just stand under it to dry herself off and get warm.

My heart is expanding with compassion like the Grinch in the last scene of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!"

To be able to put a smile on a face of someone who is struggling, to look at them, acknowledge them and validate them as people.  This is what brings me peace.

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist