Skip to main content

Day198: Turmeric Tea

Today is Day 198.  In a few days I will have been on this self-improvement journey for 200 days! 

Nearly 7 months.

What is slightly alarming is that Thanksgiving is in 4 days.  Our family is actually having a Thanksgiving I and a Thanksgiving II so that we can get everyone together.  A feast on Thursday at my brother's house. A feast on Friday at our house.  Yikes!

Should I just throw caution to the wind and enjoy the festivities?  Or should I be THAT annoying person who doesn't eat gluten, or desert? I do notice that I need to work on portion control. Always.

But my biggest fear is...dum, dum DUM...the appetizer table!  I have a serious issue with social gatherings. I get really nervous and then make a beeline for the food to hide my discomfort. But I am hyper aware this year. And I hope well armed. 

But I don't have a solid plan in place yet. I do much better with a plan.  My first thought is use a little plate for appetizers. Allow myself a few chips and dip.  And then perhaps hide out in the bathroom and do 50 wall pushups, come back out and stay away from the table until dinner.  Play some games with the kids. Visit with the adults. Help out in the kitchen.  But not take out my Kindle.

Arrrggg!

So many vices come out around the holidays.  And old weird emotions.  No wonder I would stuff myself. 

Well, after getting on the scale this morning, I am already thinking I need to reassess.  And the holidays are not even officially here yet.

I gained three pounds this week.

I have been eating more.  I've been relaxing my rules. I have been eating dinner later.  I even had rye toast with breakfast yesterday.

But, on the positive side, I have been going to the gym nearly every day.

And that is something to be proud of.  I think I am just going to go with my plan, but then just release all the guilt, bitterness, shame, all the yucky stuff. And focus on the good stuff.

Exercise has become my new friend.  Reading has always been there. And now I am compiling a notebook of research topics! Music.  I would like to start spending more time with my piano.

And I would like to actually start connecting more with people.  Especially my family and friends.  

So, I am going to take a deep breath today.  It is a real, bonafide day off for me!  I just had a nice breakfast with my kids. I made my famous garlic/jalapeno home fries, maple chicken sausage and scrambled eggs.  I also made turmeric tea.  I used this  recipe from Meghan Telpner's blog: 
 
Turmeric Tea
Ingredients
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of clove (Note from Zita: I didn't have clove, so I mixed the finished turmeric tea with chai tea made from a teabag)
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • tsp fresh ginger (optional)
  • As much turmeric as you can handle! Start with a teaspoon and go up from there.
  • 1-2 cups of water
  • Raw honey to sweeten
  • Milk sub of choice (Note from Zita: I used almond milk)
Make It Like So
Slow and steady stove top method
  1. Simmer herbs and water together for 10 mins
  2. Strain out and add honey and mylk


http://www.meghantelpner.com/blog/tea-time-with-turmeric/

I've made turmeric tea before. I've read many articles about the health benefits of turmeric. But this time I added fresh ginger and instead of cloves, as she suggests, I also made a pot of chai tea.  I strained the ginger out of the turmeric tea, added honey and almond milk and then we each mixed our own blend.  Very tasty!

I'm going to hit the gym and do a long session of cardio. Then I think I'll get in a massage before I come home.

Today will be a good day to clean and practice piano. I find these days of no set plans to be like a gift from heaven.

My stats are the same as last week, except for a gain of 3 pounds.  So this week, I am going to add more fresh fruits and veggies and go back to no eating after 7 p.m.  I will, however, allow myself to feast moderately on Thanksgiving.  I and II.

Happy Monday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist