Skip to main content

Day 205: A Change of Plans

So, I was really tired last night. I made a nice meal of beef short ribs marinated in maple syrup, cider vinegar and olive oil. Baked on low for two hours. Served it with coleslaw and beets.

I was planning on laying down in bed and reading at 8:00, but ended up falling asleep. I was really excited about getting up early and hitting the gym before Mass. But, alas, my sleep disorder kicked in.

I woke up with a start at 11:30 p.m., thinking it was already morning. Wide awake! Brain racing. So I read and did some web surfing.  Tried everything. Prayed, counted sheep, tried different sleeping positions. Got up and had a glass of water.

Wide. Awake. Staring at ceiling.

I think I finally nodded off around 3:00 a.m.!

One really good thing about my insomniac night is that I found a run I'd like to aim for! I remember back in the day, when I first starting writing this blog, I had set a goal for a 5K. But I didn't follow through. I ended up switching from jogging on the trail to walking and then workouts in the gym.

It was a really hot summer.  But now that I am getting stronger again, I'd like to challenge myself with a goal. And this one sounds fun! It's called "First Run & Walk 2016". A 5k and a 10K on the waterfront downtown Portland. It starts at the stroke of midnight 01/01/2016! :) What fun! I really hope I can make it.
 http://aasportsltd.com/events/race/first-run-walk/



Then I awoke with a start at 6:36 a.m. Too late to hit the gym before Mass.  I lay there for awhile, contemplating my options. It was very cold. I checked the weather forecast.  High of 43, low of 34. Possible icy rain!  I thought about staying in bed.

But my conscious kicked in. I had made a promise to go to Mass every day if possible during Advent.  So I just stood up.  Got myself out the door. Grabbed a cup of coffee from 7-11 and made it Mass early!

The humorous thing here is that the priest did not show up!  Weekly 8 a.m. Mass is usually a small, but mighty crew. Usually a dozen or so of us.  Nothing like the crowds on Sunday, to say nothing of the throngs on Christmas and Easter Sunday!


A few minutes before 8 a.m., we stand and one of the wonderful sisters leads us in the Angelus.

It is quite lovely. Here is a nice youtube representation, if you are unfamiliar with it:


So at about 7:55 a.m., we stood. We recited the Angeles.  We remained standing in anticipation of the priest's appearance.  Nothing happened.  We kept standing. We kind of looked sideways at each other.

Then one of the sisters appeared at the pulpit. She said we were waiting for Father's arrival, but we may just have a lay mass with communion if he didn't show.

He didn't.

But it was quite lovely and humble.  And on Monday's following 8 a.m. Mass is the "Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament".  For some reason, today I found even more meaning in the ritual then usual.

I have just begun migrating back to the Catholic church after many years' absence. I had never taken part in the "Adoration".

I am feeling very present in my life.  I used to tell my kids that everyday they should do something to improve their physical, mental and spiritual life.  Today, I feel I am on the right track. And as I waited for the priest this morning, I took out The Little Blue Book: Advent and Christmas Seasons 2015-2016 that the church passed out to us last week.  For the First Sunday in Advent they suggest: "Spend today's six minutes with the Lord sketching below some ideas on how you can spend these 26 days of Advent well..."

I had just about six minutes until Mass finally started. I wrote down the following list:

(I do love lists!)
  1. Daily Mass
  2. Daily Exercise
  3. Daily Music Practice
  4. Daily Blog
  5. Daily Prayer
  6. Daily Cleaning
  7. Daily healthy eating with fasting between 8 p.m. and 8:30 a.m.

After Mass, I headed straight to the gym.  Then home to make breakfast for my adult children. It's become a tradition, most weekdays I make a nice breakfast for whoever is present.  Good bonding time. :)

I am now going to get in a bit of piano practice before I head out to teach.

I still do hope to make it to the gym at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow. I hear it is going to be warmer! :)

Happy Monday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 156: Thank God for COPD and 120 Days of Daily Hooping

10:00 a.m.

Today has been a very good day so far.

I am here at my daughter and son-in-law's church.


I have Baby Gracie duty. It is a pleasure! I had not seen her in four days. Such a difference those days made! I arrived at their trailer before church. I went straight to her crib and said,"Hi Gracie, your grandma is here!"

I scooped her up and noticed her looking intently up at my face. Like she was studying me. I continued talking to her and her face lit up with recognition!

My heart leapt for joy!

I danced with her around the living room, softly singing our theme song ("The Bunny Hop"). When I got to the "hop, hop, hop" part she would grin.




Earlier, I took the Max to Cascades Station. Had a cup of Earl Grey tea and a gluten free breakfast sandwich at Starbucks. It was such a beautiful morning. Clear, crisp and chilly. Sun shining brightly.

I love this time of year!  I did cough quite a bit last night. The Prednisone has taken the edge off, but does …