Skip to main content

Day 201: Just Say No to Crack Tots!

It is Thanksgiving Eve.  So really, it is still Day 200. But I had some moments of profundity. If that is a word.  I'll have to look it up.  But first, I need to get this typed. I will post it in the morning. On the "real" Day 201! (Note: "pro·fun·di·ty: deep insight; great depth of knowledge or thought." Oxforddictionaries.com)
So, it just occurred to me that the number 200 has taken on a new significance for me.  A positive one!  For many years, up until June 15, 2015 I weight 200+ pounds.  I felt fearful when I first saw that number on my scale. Then ashamed. Then depressed. Then I got mad and told myself I was still beautiful. I couldn't help it if my metabolism had slowed down after I had children and began to get older.  I started to embrace the initials BBW.  I was big and beautiful!

But after awhile, I was not feeling so beautiful. Or healthy.  I desired to be fit. And full of energy.  For me, 200+ was not ideal.

I have the number 140 in mind as my goal weight. But that really is just a number, isn't it?  This journey has not been easy. And it is not just about shedding pounds and numbers on the scale or the measuring tape.

It is about shedding the insulation I have packed around myself. It is about finding the authentic me that is buried deep inside.

I feel old habits calling to me. Especially as we head into the holidays.  I want to bury my emotions in a big bowl of buttered popcorn.

Or a bag of vinegar and salt potato chips. With clam dip.  And a brownie. And a diet coke.  Give me a magazine with recipes and pictures, and I would be in heaven.

I have moments where I don't think I can perservere.  I had another moment this evening.  When I have time on my hands, unplanned time, alone, that is when I am tempted to binge. I guess that is what I would do. I would binge. I fought it. I talked myself past  many temptations on the way home from student's house. I should have packed a meal! But I was in a hurry. Sigh.

I did give in to a small bowl of vanilla ice cream when I got home. I topped it with 10 M&M candies.  I felt very much in control as I PURPOSELY spooned my ice cream into a small bowl and counted out the candy.  I microwaved the M&M's until they were slightly melted.

But then I sat down in front of the computer. I opened Pinterest.  My pulse quickened at the sight of all those beautiful pictures of food. And recipes!  I clicked on a recipe called "Crack Tots".  It led me to a blog called "Oh Bite It". Here is the picture:

http://www.ohbiteit.com/?s=crack+tots
At this point I started to eat mindlessly.  Suddenly I had this out of body experience. I could see myself shovelling M&M ladened ice cream in my mouth. My pulse quickened. I was practically panting with my finger poised on the mouse to look at the recipe.

And then...

I STOPPED!  I laughed at myself! "Crack Tots, indeed!".  Perfect for this moment!

But I stopped. This is big!

 I closed Pinterest.  I put my bowl in the sink.  I was aware.  I think this a good start. Awareness is a good place to be at. Especially Thanksgiving Eve.

On that note, I am going to make some herbal tea and relax.  Maybe read a book.

The gym is closed tomorrow for Thanksgiving Day.  Isn't that ironic? The day we need it most! lol But the staff does deserve a day with their family. Selfish me.

So, my plan is to get up early and bundle up. I haven't been to the trail in several weeks. Not since the rain came.  I think that would be a good tradition to start. A long walk on Thanksgiving morning. Maybe my daughter and Honey Dog will come with me.
Honey Dog
My plan for today is simple: to be thankful for this God given life. To stop worrying what goes in my mouth and be more attentive to the words I say to others. But to be honest with you, those "crack tots" look divine! Maybe I will make them for our "Thanksgiving II" dinner!

I wonder if they are gluten free?

King James Bible: Matthew 15:11
"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist