Skip to main content

Day 204: Advent and Inner Peace

Beautiful morning! Cold, but beautiful!

I am getting ready to go to Mass. 

Today is the first day of Advent.

"In the Catholic Church, Advent is a period of preparation, extending over four Sundays, before Christmas. The word Advent comes from the Latin advenio, "to come to," and refers to the coming of Christ." http://catholicism.about.com/od/holydaysandholidays/p/Advent.htm

"Advent was first recorded about 380AD in Spain. By the 6th century, there are records of monks in Tours (in France) holding a pre-Christmas fast. By end of the 6th century, the four Sundays before Christmas had commonly become known as Advent Sundays." http://www.whychristmas.com/customs/advent.shtml

For me, Advent is a time for self-examination. To prepare myself for Jesus to come into my life (again).  I do a lot of self-examination. But I think I look at myself more honestly at this time of year. Perhaps, because of the cold, the darkness, and the pressure from our culture to be jolly and deck the halls and buy, buy, buy!  It takes a lot of self control to make it through in one piece, with inner peace, a smile and money in the bank to make it through!

Anyway, after Mass I will go to the gym.  Yesterday I did 2.25 miles in 30 minutes on the
eliptical trainer.

I am trying to muster up enough courage to attend a yoga class tomorrow. I have a lot on my mind. Planning a student piano recital, and preparing for a couple of performances of my chamber group and the choir I accompany.

Not to mention shopping for Christmas gifts. I think I will do most of that online.

But I am trying to stay focused and mindful. This season can be stressful and chaotic. Which is contrary to what it is really supposed to be about. 

Wonder. Love. Awe. Generosity.  All that good stuff.

By avoiding the crowds and keeping hold of my inner peace, I just might make it through!

This daily blog helps me keep tabs on myself.

The exercise has moved to the top of my list of priorities. It keeps me sane.


Here's my new list:

  1. Exercise
  2. Prayer
  3. Blog
  4. Journal
  5. Practice Piano
  6. Plan healthy meals
  7. Sleep 8 hours a night
  8. Drink extra water
  9. Keep up with daily household tasks
  10. Be kind and smile at people! 
It's hard to put those in order. They are equally important.  Perhaps prayer should be number one. But I put exercise first, because my head doesn't seem to quite stay put if I don't get daily exercise in.

On that note, I am off!

I also plan on visiting the library today. I only have one student, so I do have some breathing space.

Happy Sunday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i