Skip to main content

Day 176: Sweet Dreams Are Made of This



Another wonderful day!

I got up early and put the ingredients for a cabbage soup in the crockpot before I scooted out the door. The bus wasn't due for 15 minutes when I arrived at my stop.  It was drizzling. Not monsooning like last night, but still pretty wet. But the temperature was quite mild. And there was a gentle, warm wind blowing.  It was really pleasant.

Even more pleasant was the white chocolate, soy mocha with brown sugar and cinnamon that I inhaled as I waited for my bus!

Our chamber group performed for an All Saints Day church service at a Lutheran church. It was quite moving. The people in the congregation lit a candle for each person they knew who had died over the past year. They also included those who were killed in the Umpqua Community College shooting and victims of the Charleston, SC church shooting.

After the service I stopped for lunch at Burgerville. I was doing my comfort food rationalizing. I felt the need to sit and read my book over a burger. Sigh.  Well, at least I recognize this trait.  And Burgerville does have gluten free buns. 

After my first student, I went straight to the gym. Of course, I rationalized that a good workout would cancel out all the calories I consumed at lunch!

I worked my chest and triceps. Then I did some crunches and elyptical.  Ended with some stretches. Then I headed home and for some soup before the rest of my students. I got a text message from my daughter when I hopped on the bus home. It said, " Mom: Get a pen and write down this cabbage soup recipe. You MUST make it likes this every time. It is the BEST EVER!"

LOL.  We have this joke at our house. Well basically the kids make fun of me. Because every time I make a dish it is different. If they ask me to make something I've made before, they are often disappointed because it doesn't turn out the same. I like to throw things together as I go.  Never remember what I do.  Don't like to be confined to a recipe for goodness sake!

But I am writing down now my "Best Ever Cabbage Soup"

Approximately 6 cups water
About 2 Tablespoons "Better then Boullon" Beef base
1 head cabbage, chopped up
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 inch slice fresh ginger, minced
1 canned chopped tomatoes (with juice)
About 1 tablespon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all in the crockpot on low for about 7 hours or high for about 4 hours.

It really was incredible! :)

After my soup, I headed down to the SE Hawthorne area for some more students. I had bought some "gourmet lollipops" for my students for Halloween treats. I had some in my bag with me.

Yesterday I made an amazing discovery. I was hungry. I was at the church where I teach piano on Saturdays. And I hadn't packed much food.  I felt kind of panicky actually because I was feeling hungry and weak and I had several more students before rehearsal. So I grabbed one of the gourmet lollipops and made a cup of oolong tea. For some reason, the bag had mostly blue and purple lollipops - "Blueberry Cream", "Blue Raspberry" and a "Grape".  I did not want a blue or purple tongue. I spied a big white "Pina Colada".  Score!

For some bizarre reason, I dipped my lollipop in my hot tea. OMG!!!

It kind of melted a bit and was this creamy, coconutty, pineapple goodness in my mouth.  I don't even usually have much of a sweet tooth. But I had a feeling I was on to something.  That lollipop lasted me all afternoon. And I was a very happy teacher!

I looked them up online.  They have about 100 calories. But I read that they are not good for your teeth if you have them in your mouth all day. The "Colgate Oral Health Center" recommends drinking water and brushing after sucking on a lollipop.

Oh, aside from melting the candy into a creamy bit of heaven, it also sweetened my tea a bit!

Well, I guess my fantasies of a lollipop diet have been dashed, unless I want to go sugar free. But today at my last house, my student's dad made me a cup of Earl Grey Tea. I gave my student her Halloween lollipop (she chose grape!) and I scored a butterscotch. Dipped in Earl Grey tea, of course!!

I recently read the book Begin with Yes by Paul Boynton.  He is an optimist.  I follow him on Facebook and share at least one of his posts (along with a beautiful, inspiring photograph) each day. I recently purchased the workbook (Begin with Yes - 21-Day Companion Workbork: A Step by Step Guide to Living your Begin with Yes Life).

I am so inspired by this author. I am on Day four. I am supposed to lie down in a quiet place and allow my mind to wander back in time to moments when I was truly and utterly happy.  I started this exercise earlier, but was distracted by my noisy kids. So I'll finish later. But what occurred to me is that all of my happy memories have to do with food!  Go figure!! 

I may have to add my butterscotch lollipop dipped in Earl Grey tea memory. Sweet dreams are made of this!  :)

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i