Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 103: Walking with Clyde

 Hooping: Day 69

Today was Day 69 of daily hooping.  Above is my video.  And I was also finally able to edit my Day 67 hooping video.  You can see it here:

Hooping: Day 67 (Eclipse Day!)

Apparently the problem had to do with the internet service in my neighborhood. Which coincidentally had issues on the day of the eclipse.

Speaking of which, I spoke to the parent of my Monday night students after their lesson.  They had driven to Silverton to watch the eclipse. They were fortunate to have experienced it in totality.  The boys eagerly relayed their experience to me. But as I was leaving, I noticed I had a difficult time carrying on a normal, adult conversation with their mom.

I confided in her that I had been feeling odd all day after the eclipse. That I felt uncomfortable staring at the sun, even with eclipse glasses. And that now I felt a bit wobbly and dizzy. She told me her husband was laying down. He felt very peculiar since they had returned. She said she felt tired, but they had all gotten up at 4:00 a.m. to make the drive.

I dismissed it to just my sensitive nature.

Yesterday I had a very good, balanced day.  No aches or pains. I went to lunch with my daughter after my church office job. Then I went to the gym and lifted weights.  Then, later I sat in a small Mexican restaurant, sipping ice water and eating a salad topped with grilled chicken. With jalapenos and radishes on the side. I did not have students yesterday. So it was a treat to relax over dinner with a book.

It was starting to get dark, so I hopped on the bus to the last stop for the evening. I had a mile walk home, so I stopped at the corner store for a bottle of water. Then I put in my headphones and tuned my radio to 101.1 fm.

To my friend Clyde Lewis.

I don't know him personally. But his distinct voice and fascinating, but sometimes borderline conspiracy theory radio program ("Ground Zero") have accompanied my nightly walks for several years now. He was with me when I moved to Salem, and walked home from the Amtrak station after working in Portland all day.

He was there when I moved in with  my daughter and son-in-law back in Portland. In the dreaded Lents neighborhood.  Which I grew to love.

And now, in my shared living situation in Milwaukie.  I look forward to walks with Clyde.

But I almost dropped my water bottle last night when the first words I heard from his mouth were:

"There were a few people in our group that were getting headaches as totality began and some were having problems with their equilibrium.Could all of this be connected to the magnetic changes that abruptly happened during totality?"

I turned up the volume and listened to his entire program. The mile walked whizzed by. I kept listening even when I got home.

You can read the transcript of his program here, if you are interested:

http://www.groundzeromedia.org/822-afterglow/

I won't go into detail, but it is fascinating! I am planning on reading it again and doing a bit of research. 

But what is even weirder is that today my mom called to tell me that things seem "different" after the eclipse. She was not very interested in the event. She and my dad did not even buy glasses. But she told me right before the sky darkened, her cat started acting strange and then it got really cold in the house. She stepped outside, but did not look at the sky with her naked eyes. But she said it the darkness was eerie. And it was very quiet.

When the moon passed, she said the light of the sun seemed "different and brighter".

And today she told me that she does not hurt. Her arthritis has not bothered her since the eclipse.  I told her about my experience. She seemed in awe. Which is quite unusual for my mom. She is not easily awed. 

Perhaps we are in the midst of a shift. I remember when my kids went through growth spurts. They would seem to grow an inch or more overnight. Perhaps that is how we humans grow. Suddenly, in the twinkling of an eye. In the aftermath of a solar eclipse.

I do not know.

The more I study and strive to understand the universe, the more it eludes me.

That's why my faith gets stronger as I age.  One day, when I pass over into what I hope is eternal life, and meet God, I hope that I will finally understand.

Until then, I am here with you.  And I wish you a happy Wednesday!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i