Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 99: Simple Gifts

What I am feeling grateful for today:

Dinner with son last night.

My daughter.

My granddaughter - coming soon!

Students eager to learn.

Friends wanting to play music with me.

Moving with strength, absence of pain.

Clear mind. Clear lungs.

Love of family, friends, life.

A cool summer breeze.

God.

Music.

Speaking of which, I am at chamber music rehearsal. I am listening to a beautiful piece being played by a cellist, violinist and flautist. Trio #2 by Hiroshi. We are in the church I teach at on Saturday. It gets very hot in here. I have the side door open, box fan blowing slightly cooler early afternoon air into the sanctuary. I played the first three Russian folk songs with cello and voice. They asked me to fill in for their regular pianist who is on vacation. I've played with them before. The vocalist is my friend. I was having anxiety earlier. Hot church, worried about way too many things beyond my control. Wishing I had the evening free to do my library blogging, hit the gym, go sit and read at Starbucks with an iced tea. My usual comfortable routine.

But then suddenly everything changed. The music returned and touched something that had almost died inside. I am filled with joy. My earlier funky mood has dissipated, like smoke in the air. My anxieties forgotten.

I need to play more music. Not want.

Need.

I must sound insane. I have been in this place far too many times.

Earlier I was tense and anxious. I was worrying about finances, and the logistics of adding caring for my new grandbaby into my schedule. Amongst many other things beyond my control.

I realize now that I did not start day with prayer.

When will I learn?

Maybe God sent the music. To remind me to look up, to let go of earthly concerns. To let myself be elevated to a higher realm.

I am inspired. I see my path more clearly.

I do love teaching. But now that I am playing again, I see that I need to make room for music. I am thinking perhaps another church pianist job.

Now that I am healthier in many ways, I think I am ready to put myself out there again. Older, and hopefully humbler and wiser than before.

I sat down earlier and practiced a few pieces for an upcoming church pianist sub gig at a Presbyterian church.

I decided on Simple Gifts as a postlude.

I thought I'd share my practice with you. I love this arrangement:






The lyrics for the hymn "Simple Gifts" were written by Joseph Brackett (1797-1882), a Shaker. The tune was later made famous by Aaron Copeland. And there have been many arrangements.

The original song just had one lovely verse:

"Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free
'Tis a gift to come down where I ought to be
And when I am in the place just right
I will be in the valley of love and delight
When true simplicity is gained
To bow and to bend I will not be ashamed
To turn, to turn will be my delight
'Til by turning, turning, I come 'round right".


Simplicity is a theme I keep returning to in my life. And it is my theme for today as I count my blessings and music my way out of a funky mood.

Music. Prayer. Exercise. Healthy food. Hard work. Family. And a good night's sleep.

These are life's simple gifts. And all too often taken for granted.
BY
Happy Saturday.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love and blessings,

Zita



p.s. Today was day 65 of my daily hooping project!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i