Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 83: Prednisone, Grumpy Doc and the Pentateuch!






I barely hacked at all last night.

Probably due to the Prednisone my doctor prescribed me. I was hoping I'd get a new doctor this time around at the clinic that accepts my Oregon Health Plan coverage. But there he was. Grumpy Doc.

But my appointment was pleasant. I greeted him and asked him how he was. He lightened up and even smiled during our visit. I wonder if he has a rough life.  It turns out we have the same "virus". Yes virus. I do not have a bacterial infection. My stats show me as a very healthy woman!  

BP: 100/70, Pulse 79, temp 96.7, Weight 182 lbs. (My weight loss has stalled. After I did the 10-Day Grain Detox, I weakened and ate a few meals with much rice.  I have SOOO missed rice. But since then, I've gained two pounds, so today I'm going back to no grains.  For the time being.  I think I will allow a bit of rice now and then, but I still am looking at 40 more pounds that I'd like to drop. So must be strong!)

Anyway...

I told Grumpy Doc I have been suffering for many months, I'm thinking 8 months!

He told me (very sternly) he would not give me antibiotics. Sigh. Grumpy Doc does like to go by the books!

He asked if the Prednisone helped last time. Reluctantly I told him it did.  It wiped my cough out. But then it came back.

"You have asthma," he said with a slight questioning tone.

"Yes", I said. "I've struggled with allergies my whole life. And several times it developed into a wheezy cough. I've never smoked. But I've been around smokers. And I exercise everyday." 

He smiled at my last comment.  I just had to get that in there! I am most proud of my exercise!

I didn't tell him that I was on my 48th day of daily hooping. That might have been a bit much.

He told me that he was going to prescribed Prednisone for the cough. But this time with 2 refills.  It is a very short course. Like last time.  Only 5 days worth. Starting with 2 pills for 3 days, tapering down to 1/2 pill.

I accepted the prescription. But I also went to the store and bought oregano, to steep in boiling water and inhale, saline nose drops and Flonase. I am determine to conquer what ails me!

Wouldn't you know it, I woke up to hot sun and a smokey haze. The wildfires in Vancouver BC are sharing their smoke with us. Lovely.

But I did not let it stop me! I marched right out to my tree and hooped for a full 7 minutes before I had to get ready for my office job.

I do feel better. I slept well since I wasn't up hacking and wheezing all night.

However, I did pop up, wide awake at 1:00 am. again.  So I gulped down some water and said my prayers. I was still wide awake. I was tempted to look at Facebook, but I knew that would not be sleep inducing.  So I got out my Bible.

I lay in bed and read for at least half an hour. And it felt so right!  

I started a practice several years ago of reading the entire bible from Genesis to Revelation, daily. It usually takes me about a year.  I believe this is 4th time through. Last night I finished Numbers and started into Deuteronomy. Which is the last book of the "pentateuch" Pentateuch means five books. It refers to the first five books of the Old Testament. This is also the "Torah" Torah in Hebrew means instruction or teaching. The Torah is the "central reference of Judaism" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah).  It also comprises the first five books of the Tanakh, which correspond to the Christian Old Testament.

I find this fascinating. The older I get, the more fascinated I become!

I attended a bible study with my daughter, son-in-law and Honey Dawg on Monday night. It was also fascinating to me!  My daughter said she gets a little bored with all the historical facts. Their bible study teacher is deep in research and loves to share his knowledge. But the group has been in the Gospel of John for nearly a year.  My daughter would like to move on and also have more life application. I get where she's coming from. I was like that too. In my youth.

But now the deep research and historical facts feed my starving mind and soul!

I am so happy! I have finally found the answer for my insomnia. Not just a cure, but a REASON!

It's a God thing.  It must be.

What's exciting about this is that in the wee hours of the morning, with my focused mind, the Old Testament was starting to open up to me. All the names did not seem as foreign. I was starting to make connections. I want to get hold of an Old Testament map.  To visualize all these places mentioned.  But even more, I feel like I am getting to know personally the characters: Moses, Joshua, Caleb, and God Himself!
I am looking forward to the next section. I will be done with the Pentateuch in the next day or so. The next 12 books are known as the "Historical Books" of the bible. (Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicle, Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther).

I love having a purpose!

Speaking of which, I am on day 49 of daily hooping!  It is what gets me up in the morning!  I did 7 minutes today. I was searching through the Youtube audio samples, for a piece of that length. I noticed they had Beethoven's 9th Sympthony in it's entirety - 23 minutes! That is my next goal:
symphonic hooping. 



Stay tuned!
On that note, I wish you a happy Thursday.

If you are in Portland, stay cool and stay inside. It's hot and smoky out there!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Peace and much love,

Zita 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i