Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 86: Denzel, Deuteronomy and Almond Flour Bagels

I had the most extraordinary talk with my mother at breakfast yesterday. First of all, this early rising is really working for me.  I popped up again about 6:00 a.m. this morning. I didn't quite make it out to experience the sunrise. But then again, it was so overcast this morning, not sure if I would have witnessed it anyway.

There was a pleasant breeze blowing. The skies were a light gray and cloudy (or smoky?). I didn't detect any smoke. I can actually breathe again. It is so nice to take long deep gulps of fresh air and smell aromas, without breaking down and wheezing and coughing!



Today is day 52 of daily hooping. And day 25 of grain free.  And approximately 22,320 days of life.
That's a lot of life!

I am most pleased with this way of eating!  It is also nice to have the support of others who are going through the grain detox on the Facebook group. I posted my Day 1 Grain Free picture next to today's (Day 25) Grain Free picture on the group page this morning. I have gotten many, many "likes" so far. (I like likes!)  In addition to grain free, I am still exercising daily and ending all ingesting of food at 7:00 p.m. I drink a lot of water and unsweetened tea, eat protein, fats, vegetables, nuts, a bit of cheese, and some fruit. Mostly whole foods without added sugars or chemicals.

It's working!

Day 1 Grain Free               Day 25 Grain Free     


Ok, back to breakfast with mom. We were both in rather cheerful moods. Not much worrying going on.  This is rare for both of us to be relatively worry free. But it was a nice change. And it made for a pleasant breakfast!

We started out by talking about Denzel Washington. He is my parents new favorite actor.  She highly recommended the movie "The Equalizer", which they own and have watched at least a dozen times already! She likes talk about her favorite scenes and quotes. So to appease her, I rented it last week. And loved it!

She said they had several other Denzel movies. So I asked her which one she would reccomend.

"Unstoppable", she said without hesitation.

Unstoppable it was! I liked this one even better! And it was based on a true story.

So, I sat down at my computer the other day and put about 12 Denzel Washington movies on hold.  This week's playlist includes:
  • "Malcolm X"
  • "Ricochet"
  • "The Taking of Pelham 123"
  • "American Ganster"
Most excited am I! I love finding an actor I admire and watching all their works!

Something we both noticed about Denzel, is that he has a big heart and integrity that he brings to every role we have seen him in. (I previously watched "Man on Fire" and the "Book of Eli", both of which I highly recommend).

I did a little research on Denzel. I knew he was openly Christian. But what I did not know was:

  • He was the son of a Pentecostal preacher.
  • He's been married to the same woman since 1983.
  • He had thought about becoming a preacher, but instead tries to bend each role he plays to give a good message. http://hollowverse.com/denzel-washington/
On another site, I discovered that Denzel reads the Bible every morning. Like me!  He is on his 3rd time through the Bible.

Not to brag, but I am on my 4th!

But I am the first to admit, I have tended to not dwell too long in certain Old Testament books...

Like Deuteronomy.

I really struggled with this book this go round. I just finished this afternoon. Over a lunch of a baked chicken breast, olives and hard boiled eggs. (This is how I roll lunch on the road! Low carb at Safeway deli!)


 Ok. Back to Deuteronomy.  I, like many other people struggle with the violence in the Old Testament.  Compared to the message of love from Jesus in the New Testament.  I love the old bible stories. But not so much all the anger, vengence and bloodshed.

But over the years, my mind is slightly expanding.  I can feel the limits of my mortal thoughts.  God is not limited. God is not mortal.  I used to just blindly accept that He is so far above us, and His ways are so different, that I as a mere human could never possibly comprehend. I've played with the thought that Heaven would be meeting God and finally understanding it all.

But I have a thirst for knowledge. And a hunger for the Bible. The more I read, study, listen to sermons, talks and lectures, the more I want to know!

It's like I am replacing my hunger for food with a hunger for the Word of God! 

Anyway,  I went a little slower through the Pentateuch this time. Especially Deuteronomy.  And I noticed a few things. Yes, God was quite angry at Israel. Yes, he ordered them to take over land and wipe out whole groups of people. Essentially genocide.

Yes, God is strict. But He also loves His chosen people. He gives them many laws to protect them.  He warns them over and over again to keep His commandments.  And some of the people that He wiped out were doing very bad things. Like sacrificing their children to demon gods.

Shudder.

I would like to study this concept of the angry, vengeful God of the Old Testament in contrast to the Love of Jesus in the New Testament.

I am searching commentaries as we speak.

But I am so looking forward to the historical books! Joshua is next. The Israelites are finally entering the promised land. Alas, without Moses.

But I don't want to spoil it for you.

The odd thing is, at breakfast yesterday, my mother pulled out a copy of a newspaper. She was really excited about an article she had just read.

"Did you know that 93% of Lebanese people are descendants from the Canaanites?" She asked. I read with interest and told her this was so very coincidental, because I was currently wading through Deuteronomy. My mother, raised Catholic said she never "really" read the Bible.  But she and my dad are now very interested.  It was so nice talking to my mother about the Bible, God, the Canaanites, Moses, the golden calf. You can't just talk to anyone about these things!
I found the article online because she wanted her newspaper back.
(http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kermitzarleyblog/2017/08/palestinians-may-philistines-since-lebanese-dna-93-canaanite/

After breakfast, we headed to the church where I teach on Saturdays. One of the pastors had opened all the doors and windows. I pulled out the fans. We managed to keep the temperature below 80 all day. That was an accomplishment!

I had a really nice afternoon of teaching. And this warm glow in my heart from the loving, interesting conversation with my mom. And the stirring of something deep and profound. Which I cannot yet put into words. But has returned again today.

That maybe I will never really understand. At least not in this life. But love is the most important. Just like Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:4-13. What I always used to call the "wedding scripture".

1 Corinthians 13:4-13

 New International Version (NIV)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

I need to let go of this notion that I need to be right. 

Or that anyone, including myself is superior.  


And rebellion!  Just like the Israelites in the Old Testament, I am stubborn, I am rebellious. I have never like being told what to do. I do not like to follow the crowd.


God warns many times that His people need to obey him.


Something is brewing in my heart...but it is not fully formed.  I will have to ponder, pray and study more.  


On another note, I am going to make almond flour bagels today!The Facebook group I belong to that follows Dr. William Davis' 10-Day Grain Detox are raving about almond flour bagels.  There is a mouthwatering picture posted daily. 

I would really like to eat a bagel.  I miss bagels.

I will post a mouthwatering picture if mine turn out!
One recipe, several people in my group recommend is this one from "www.wholesomeyum.com"  It sounds simple, so this is the one I am trying!


But in the meantime, I need to head home and let Squire the Dog out and get baking.

Happy Sunday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Peace and MUCH LOVE!

Zita
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i