Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 90: Shallow Water

Day 56 of daily hooping!

I am starting to feel almost graceful as I hoop. Like my hoop and I are one!

The woosh effect from yesterday is still with me. I managed to stay at 180 lbs. I am hoping to drop into the 170's soon. And I found a yummy way to make a sandwich wrap.  Instead of wrapping the filling in a seaweed "nori" wrap (it gets mushy!), I packed sliced veggies: cucumber, green onion and avocado. And I packed a package of salmon. Then I just rolled and ate. The nori was still nice and crisp.  It works! Quite tasty! :)



My lovely daughter joined me for a walk this morning on the track. She walked, I hooped. Then we walked together. She is glowing in maternity!  Baby is engaged and ready for takeoff. Should be happening within the month.

My daughter shared with me her ideal weight. She has been blessed with this pregnancy. She has not gained too much, and it is mostly in her belly.  Which should be easy to lose once baby girl arrives.

We talked about our goals. It seems we both have a similar goal weight.  So once baby comes, we will support each other (eh hem COMPETE!).  Although my daughter wisely stated that I should not attempt to reach HER goal weight. After all, a woman of "your age" (read OLD), does not want to be saggy. She needs muscles!

Love that girl. She is right.

So my new adjusted, unsaggy weight goal is:


160 lbs.

 

WOW! This is totally within my reach! A mere 20 pounds!

  When I started this journey, the road seemed long, winding and treacherous.  Like wandering through the desert. Like the Israelites.  

But I am here, standing on the mountain. I can see the Promised Land!

I know, I've been reading too much Joshua in the Old Testament. I so love the book of Joshua!!  Just last night, I read how Joshua and the Israelites crossed the Jordan river.  God instructed them to follow the Levite priests, who were carrying the ark. They would stand in the middle of the river - which was at flood stage during the time of harvest.  But God commanded the river to stop flowing when the priests reached the middle.  The water competely stopped and allowed Joshua and all the Israelites to cross over.  

The priests were actually standing on dry ground in the middle of the river.  

I love this story.  And I can so relate it to my life. The trials I have faced. All my struggles.  Yet I can see the Promised Land in the distance. I just need to let go of my worries, trust God and obey Him.  I can imagine crossing through the river, with all my troubles and anxieties, guilts and regrets piled up on either side as I march triumphantly into a new land!

I have to admit, I am being super shallow. I am relating the Promised Land to being at my ideal weight, fit and trim. Energetic and healthy. I do know it's much more than that.  I tend to focus too much on the physical. But as I make my way, I hope to continue to minimize food as pleasure and recreation. Just think of it as healthy fuel for this God given body that I have learn to love and respect.  And continue to feed my mind with wholesome teachings.  And continue to fill my heart with love and compassion.

The  other day at my church job, one of the members mentioned that the office is the "first impression" people have of the church. It should be neat and orderly, she scolded. I smiled and straightened up when she left. I have never been once for appearances.  But I do agree it is important to have pride.  Perhaps finally, after I have let myself go for so many years, I can start regaining the pride in my appearance. But I couldn't help disagreeing with her in my mind.  The first impression people have of a church is the people. How they welcome them. How they make them feel.  

I welcome everyone with a smile. I truly care about them.  
That is my work ethic. Treating everyone like they matter because they do!

And on that note, I hope you have a fabulous Thursday!

Enjoy life! YOU matter!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Lots of love, 

Zita 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i