Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 235: LOVE and Quality Time with a Treadmill


I think I am going to wait until the weather gets warmer to start running.  It was bitter cold this morning, with a howling wind. I don't want to risk my cough returning with a vengence.  

Although the way I have been eating, I really need to burn more calories!  I am going to really, REALLY try to make it to the gym tomorrow.  And spend some quality time with a treadmill!

I did manage a short hoop workout. I am looking most poofy.  Tomorrow I am going to get back to my mostly vegan diet.  Lost of fresh veggies, fruit, a bit of rice and a smidge of fish and chicken.  No dairy. No sugar.

I spent a good part of the day with my son. It was nice to hang out with him.  I am thankful that I spent time this morning praying and reading my Joyce Meyer book (The Mind Connection: How the Thoughts You Choose Affet your Mood, Behavior and Decisions)

I had just begun Chapter 20, "The Mind-Mouth Connection" after I had called him with no response. We were supposed to meet for lunch before an appointment he had in North Portland. But if we didn't leave soon, he would be late.

I am glad I read the chapter before I talked to him. After all, he is a grown man as he often tells me.  I took a deep breath and kept my tone light and casual.  He had overslept.  We agreed to meet at his appointment and have dinner afterwards.

Ironically, we managed to make it to our second bus connection at the same time. So we rode the bus together. I love this man-child.  He will always be my kid.  We had a really nice visit.  After his appointment we were both famished. It was cold.  I had a coupon for Hometown Buffet.  

We were both quite stuffed and happy when he told me it was getting late and he was tired. He headed home. I sat and read for a bit. And truth be told, I had 3 desserts!  ARRG!!

They were small.  Pecan pie, cheese cake and coconut cream pie. I am pleased to report that I did not eat the crust....but still....ARRGG!!

But we did have a lovely time.  He gave me a big hug and said, "Love you, Mom". Then he kissed my cheek and headed out.

I don't think I nagged or lectured him at all today.  And that felt good.  

It occurred to me later, after returning home from teaching a student, that I should treat everyone like I am "Teacher Zita". I always give me students permission to make mistakes and not feel bad about them. Just do their best.  And either fix their mistakes, or better still keep going.  

I am supportive, rather than critical.  I think this is a good way to support my loved ones and friends.  

Again, I think of something I read in my Joyce Meyer book today. In the study guide that accompanies the book.  She says "Think about a specific time when you hung out with a negative person and another time when you were with a positive person. Describe how you felt after interacting with each of them."

My answer:  Negative person:  "Headaches, stomach pain, racing heart, nervous."
Positive person: "Joy, peace, comfort, light-heartedness"

Then she asks, "How would you like people to feel after being around you?"

My answer:  "Joyful, peaceful, inspired, happy and loved!"

I hope my son felt that way today.  I definitely felt a different energy between us.  I don't know why I thought I was helping him with all my lecturing and advice.  I need to just love and accept him.  Well maybe not certain behaviors and choices. But he knows what those are. It is him I love. I know he knows it. But hopefully I can demonstrate it better now that I am getting to know myself better.

As trite as this sounds, life really is short. We never really know how much time we or our loved ones have.  Love is the most important thing in this life.  And the world definitely needs more of it. I know I do!

On that note, I wish you a happy Wednesday.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

P.S. Here is today's poofy hoop video.  That belly fat really has to go, but I suppose I need to love it first before I let it go?

Naw...belly fat I can hate!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist