Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 254: I am the Female Don Quixote!





Today was a much better day. I felt the shift immediately this morning. Like a large weight had been lifted from my shoulders.  

We are trying something different with Baby Gracie duty.  Instead of spending the night in their small trailer, I woke up early this morning and took the Max to Cascade Station, had a leisurely Vanilla Blonde Soy Latte and a gluten free breakfast sandwich.

Then I opened  my Lyft app and order a ride over the bridge. As usual, had a very friendly driver.

Pleasantness all around this morning! I spent about 2.5 hours with Baby Gracie, so my daughter could get some work done. Gracie was in a very chipper mood.  We read a book, did some stretching, and tummy time to help her strenghen her neck. She finally got a bit fussy and let me rock her to sleep!




After my visit, my daughter, Baby Gracie and my son-in-law drove me back to Cascade Station, so I could get off to work. I decided it was a two Starbucks day, so I grabbed an Earl Gray tea and hopped on the Max. It was most deserted. I had the whole back end to myself!

I felt very peaceful, sipping my tea and gazing out the window.  Smiling at the memory of my granddaughter's head on my shoulder.





I had more energy today. I felt content and happy. I smiled at everyone I met!

Amazing, my family member in crisis called while I was rocking Gracie. He sounded in good spirits.  He talked to me a bit, and then my daughter. She does much better with him. She does not lecture, or scold. And there is not a anxious tone to be found in her speech.

I realized I have been trying to help him for most of his life.  And he has rarely taken a word of advice from me. Perhaps just being there and lots of prayer would be more effective.

Letting go and letting God take care of him seems in order.

I sighed and sipped my tea, thinking about him and my life.  The Max pulled into the Hollywood Transit Center and I eased my backpack on my back, grabbed my umbrella, and hiked up to the bus stop.  As I approached, I noticed a woman about my age. She was smiling at me.

"Quite a get up you have there!" she said.

I explained to her that my son-in-law bought me a new pack for my birthday.  It was easier on my back and I was ready for any situation on my daily commute - I waved my gloves and umbrella at her.

We both chuckled.



But deep inside, I was experienced a surge of pride.  I was prepared for just about any situation. I had on sturdy boots, warm, wool socks, leggings under my jeans, a tee shirt, a sweater, and a big jacket.  Nice, warm mittens that converted to fingerless gloves, an umbrella, a little fanny pack to hold my "Hop" transit card and my Starbucks cup,  and a backpack filled with music, reading material, trailmix and cough drops.

I thought again of my family member in crisis. He is 25 years old.  Does not seem to think about the future, or even immediate consequences of his actions. But did I at his age?  Not so much. I did not get into as much trouble, but I was always running late, never carried an umbrella, mittens or trail mix!

Maybe I should cut him some slack. After all, I have just recently started to master this thing called adulting.

It is funny how people are using that word as a verb these days.

Anyway, my day was lovely. And at my last students house this evening, the mom mentioned that I looked like I was ready to go hiking in the mountings.  I laughed and told her I was taking my commuting seriously these days.  But the mountains were imaginary.  I had my own little adventures each day, kind of like...and then I had a major brain cramp.

"You know, the older man in literature, who had imaginary adventures? He thought he was a knight?"

The mom looked at me and nodded, but she couldn't remember his name either.

"It will come to me", I sighed.

"Text it to me!" she laughed.

So off I marched into the night. And at the bus stop, I took out my phone and googled "Older man in literature who thought he was a knight"

And up came DON QUIXOTE!

I immediately texted the mom.  She said, "Yes!" What a relief.

So now, I need to reserve a copy of this classic at the library.

After all, I am the female Don Quixote!

On that note, I'm going to retire to my chambers.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 215. I do not know why it came out sideways!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist