Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 255: My Definition of Sanity

 10:00 a.m. Starbucks inside of Target, Mall 205

Another peaceful day. I need to post now in case this feeling of tranquillity dissolves later in the day!

 I am sitting at Starbucks, by the window. Watching the rain fall. I am sipping a Grande Blonde Soy Vanilla Latte with one pump of sugar. It is my free drink day. Lord knows I have earned it!



My hair is unwashed. I have zero makeup on. I am wearing  old sweats. But I am blissfully happy.

I am taking care of myself, so I can help others.

God told me this morning to keep MYSELF alive. I listen when the Creator of  the universe speaks directly to little old' me!

I was walking to the bus stop, praying for my family member in c.f. crisis. Feeling heavy with the weight of massive guilt on my conscience. The words of my friend from years ago flashed through my mind: "Just k keep him alive".

That's when the booming God-like voice interjected: "Keep YOURSELF alive!"

All my worrying and anxiety, shame and guilt helps no one. And does not change the past. But I can enjoy my life now. And hopefully shape the future.

Now I am going to spend some time studying, hit the gym, and then get ready for teaching and choir practice. I am still working on my online classical music course. I was thrilled to see the next few lectures are regarding Gregorian chant and the chants of Hildegard of Bingen. A woman I have lately been fascinated with.

Not to mention, I have been obsessed with monks, nuns and monasteries for most of my life. Sitting by the window, watching the rain, sipping a latte, and listen to a lecture about chants and monks...I am one happy woman!

I will talk to you a little later...

LATER (5:53 p.m.) Multnomah County Library



I am still having a good day.  I have faded a bit from my morning elation.  But still floating peacefully.  I would love another cup of a caffeinated beverage, but I fear it would keep me up. At least I have clean hair and bit of makeup now. But that hair!  It's pretty wild from all the wind and rain. Reminds me of my disco days!

I have a few minutes to blog and then I am off to choir practice. After choir, I am hopping on the Max north to spend the night at my daughter's house. I have Baby Gracie duty tomorrow. I am so looking forward to spending time with her!

I had a thought today. I have so few days where I feel so balanced.  Very much in the moment. Happy, content peaceful. I would like to have more days like these! I feel healthy too.  Awake. Not stiff and sore. No cough!

My thought was this:  The saying is that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, the same way, expecting a different result.

Well my definition of sanity is doing the same good things, over and over again because they produce positive results!

Perhaps I have achieved sanity!

I'll take it!

And now, I am off to choir practice.

I will talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita


P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 216! I apologize for the background noise. I had my cell phone wrapped in a plastic baggy to record, but the rain made quite a racket!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i