Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded at me.  I smiled and got in line behind him. Usually wheelchair passengers board first, so the driver can put down the ramp. But I guessed he was pretty mobile and just using it as a walker. On top of his wheelchair was a laptop and a sack containing what looked like his lunch. He was wearing big headphones underneath his hat.  As he boarded, I noticed him talking to the driver. I thought they were exchanging pleasantries, until his voice got louder and louder.  I heard the bus driver say she was not that familiar with this side of town.  I eased up closer.

"Where are you going?" I asked. (I am MOST familiar with this side of town.  I have an internal GPS!)

He turned and looked at me.

"What is the name of that large park nearby?"

"Laurelhurst Park?" I suggested.

"Yes! And what street is it on?"

"Stark", I said confidently.

He glared at the bus driver.

"Kindly tell me when to get off", he instructed her.

She glared back.

"I might be busy driving", she said. "The bus computer will announce the stop and it will be on the screen".

He told her he was hard of hearing and wearing headphones. 

I told him I would be happy to help him debus at his stop.

He seemed quite perturbed.  He told the bus driver not to drive off until he was seated. I relayed the info to her.

For the next 10 minutes until we reached his stop, he was quite antagonistic.  He kept speaking into his phone. He described the bus driver as "female, overweight and rude".

There was a middle aged woman sitting opposite me. I had complimented her on her camo-waterproof poncho.  She was taking none of this man's abusive talk.

She told him straight away that he should not make judgments about the driver's appearance.

"And the driver did nothing wrong", she stated.

I felt my antenna come up as their banter became a bit heated. They even entered the realm of God, prayer, Christianity, Islam, Jesus, and Ishmael.

I sat there watching warily.  The interesting thing is that neither one of them seemed to lose their cool. I laughed a few times because they were quite entertaining.

"You two are funny", I commented.

When I looked at the gentleman, he smiled at me. His eyes were twinkling. He was enjoying himself!

I just wish he hadn't been so verbally abusive.

Soon we approached his stop. I told him gently that this was his stop. He told the lady in the poncho that he was reporting her and the bus driver.  But as he stood up, he looked at me and reached out his hand.

"Bless you", he said.

"You too", I smiled. "Stay out of trouble!"

As he approached the driver, she told him she had already filed a complaint against him.

"I beg your pardon?" he asked, stopping his descent.

"Call 238-RIDE", she said.

He stepped off the bus.

We all laughed nervously.

"I wonder if he is recently disabled to have such a chip on his shoulder?" I asked.

"I have run into him on bus routes for over five years", said the driver, smiling at me in her rear view mirror.

"I wonder if he will really file a complaint?" I asked.

"He does every time", she said. "I have learned to report him first."

I looked at poncho lady.

"So sad", I shook my head. "He obviously enjoyed the attention.  But I would have talked to him anyway, if he was lonely. There was no need for him to be so hostile".

"I have a friend who acts just like him", said poncho woman. She had pulled out a burrito from her bag and was munching thoughtfully.  "She complains about everything!"

My stop came up. I wished the bus driver and poncho woman a wonderful day.  As I stepped off the bus, I felt a warm rush of warmth.

I am curious about the belligerent man. I wonder about his home life. About his past.

And I wonder what lesson for me is here?  These little events stand out in my mind like still shots.  They are out of my ordinary routine.  And I take notice.  I do know I am proud of myself for not sinking to hostile reaction.  Actually I am proud of the entire bus for how he was handled. And that warm handshake from him as he exited warmed my heart.

Recently I mentioned to my daughter that sometimes when people are cranky, especially older people, it is because they are not feeling well.  It helps us to feel compassion and not over react if we consider where they are coming from.

It does not always help us from getting heart. But a little compassion goes a long way.

That is my blog for today.  I am off to teach piano to my wonderful students. And then back to spend time with my granddaughter, who I never get enough of!

Hopefully, I am not boring you, my reader with her pictures!

The picture below is with Grace visiting me at the church where I teach. She loves listening to my piano students!


Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita

P.S. I will add my hooping video tonight. I am enjoying night hooping. I think I am going to find some glow in the dark material to make it more interesting to watch!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i