Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 233: An Extra Serving of Authenticity

Most exhausted am I. I can feel my cough creeping back.  I am going to be wise and go to bed early tonight.  But first I shall drink much water.

I need to make up for the cake I ate after choir practice tonight.

Yes. I ate cake. Ice cream too.

Oh, but it was so tasty!

The bass section of the choir I accompany had a sectional tonight.  The people who hosted it had leftover birthday cake from the son's birthday party.  I made a decision to not mention my gluten sensitivity. I will probably pay for it later, but I was enjoying the conversation.  I had a cup of tea, cake and ice cream.  I did not contribute much to the conversation, but it was interesting.  I realize the members of this choir are highly intellectual.  And great conversationalists.

But for one of the first time's in my life, I was not overly self conscious about being in the background. Listening, and occasionally adding something to the conversation, when I had something to say.

Before rehearsal, I was standing back by the piano, while the basses discussed beer and brewing.  The of the bass who hosted the party offered me a glass of wine.  She asked if I was hiding from all the testosterone. I told her that I was somewhat shy and introverted and usually stood on the outside of parties so I could have a speedy exit.

She laughed and said she was the same way!  What a relief! A kindred spirit. And I would not have guessed it of her. She always seemed so confident. We had a nice conversation.  I told her I was comfortable one-on-one, teaching and one stage.  Or if there was a purpose to a gathering, like rehearsing.  Or if there was food, except then I hover near the food table and overeat.

It was so nice to reveal my authentic self to someone and be accepted. I did have to expend enormous amounts of energy trying to put forth an image.  I get tired just thinking of it!

So today was a good start to the New Year.  This is not a new year, new me. This is a new year, but the real me coming out from under years of masking and armoring.

It is quite refreshing!

Tomorrow is the beginning of winter term for my private piano students.  I am quite looking forward to it.  I have missed them!

But winter term at the music center does not begin until next week. So I still have a bit of free time. I think I shall take myself to another movie!

But now I need to head to bed and sleep off this cake.

Luckily I got my morning hoop session in.  I will add a lot of fresh vegetables, fruit and water back into my diet tomorrow.

With an extra serving of authenticity!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Happy New Year!



p.s. Here is today's hooping video. Day 195!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…