Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 257: There's a Man in the Women's Locker Room

I made it to the gym again this morning! Most proud of self! I am still operating under the theory that there is never enough time to really do anything right, so I do a little bit of everything each day. It's working for me!  If I ever do get a big chunk of time, however, I plan on a long workout, a long piano practice session, a long nap!

Today was a short workout. Upper body weights, steam room and shower.  

I was on a tight schedule. I needed to catch the Max to lunch and then home to repack my backpack. Tonight I am heading over to Vancouver after I teach. I have Baby Gracie duty tomorrow!

As I was lifting weights, I noticed a young man. He stood out, because he was slender with really developed lat muscles.  And a wig. A woman's wig. It didn't seem to fit him too well. He kept readjusting it. Forgive me this assessment, but it brought to mind Norman Bates in the movie "Psycho" when he dressed up as his mother. Before he killed people.


Anyway, I didn't stare. It is Portland. People are free to be who they are. As long as they don't hurt anyone. Or kill people.

But then...I was fresh out of the shower, getting dressed, when a woman my age started talking to me about a class she took. We had a lovely conversation. Just as I had gotten fully dressed and eased into my backpack, I noticed the Norman Bates look alike from the corner of my eye. He was choosing a locker.  Then he looked around, messed with his wig and started to undress.

Most uncomfortable was I!  The other women glanced at him and glanced away. Everyone was fully dressed. But there was a strange feeling in the air.  I headed out to catch the Max. I had a schedule to keep. But I couldn't shake the odd feeling that locker room encounter left me with.

As I waited at the Max station, my daughter called. I told her I had a controversial topic for my blog today.

Then I told her about the man in the women's locker room.

She was shocked. She told her husband. He was shocked. They suggested I contact the gym and ask them their policy.

So I took a deep breath. I was a little nervous. I don't like to make waves. But I dialed the number anyway. 

I guess being a member of the "me too" movement gave me courage.

A young lady answered. I told her about my l locker room experience. I told her I was fine. But uncomfortable. I asked what the policy was for such matters at their club.

I wasn't sure what I expected. But her scripted answer was a surprise.

"Yes", she replied as if she expected the question. "We have had a few calls about this."

Then she broke into her spiel:

"If a person is transitioning to the opposite sex, they are free to use the bathroom of the gender they are transitioning to. Otherwise, men are not allowed in the ladies locker room."

"That makes sense", I said. "But he - or she - was in the locker room, and we were all in various stages of undress. I felt uncomfortable. I think several other ladies did too. I wonder if you should post a notice?"

At which point the young lady repeated her spiel. At the end she said, "You could change in the bathroom stall if you want privacy". 

I thanked her for her time and hung up.

Interesting.  We are heading into new territory.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt me to change in the stall.

On that note, I'm heading to bed. Baby Gracie wakes up early in the morning. A grandma must be prepared!

Talk to you tomorrow.



P.S. Here is today's hoop video. Day 218!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…