Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 263: The Message of the Hummingbird!

I saw a hummingbird while walking to the music center the other day.  I stopped in my tracks as it hovered in front of my face for a moment, flapping it's little wings furiously.  Before I could blink, it whirred off into the sky. 

I felt blessed. I smiled. I have had several hummingbird encounters over the last 28 years that I have lived in SE Portland. Time always stands still as I witness this miraculous little creature. I can't help but feel that God is speaking to me.  Showing me His power in the creation.

I did a quick search for "hummingbird" online and discovered they are truly miraculous creations.  They are the smallest bird on the planet. They flap their wings so fast, which allows them to hover.  In fact the flapping of their wings creates a humming sound, and that is how they got their name!  They can fly in all directions:  up, down, left, right, and upside down!  

My faith in a creator is strong, but seeing this little creature gave me goosebumps. How great is our God who could create such perfection! If you are interested, you can find more information about the hummingbird here: https://defenders.org/hummingbirds/basic-facts

Aside from feeling blessed by my humming bird siting, I also felt a surge of hope.  The hope of spring!  Tomorrow is February first.  It is eerie to feel like spring is just around the corner. We barely had a winter!  

As I was walking home this evening, I was listening to "Ground Zero with Clyde Lewis" as usual. He has been talking about the flu epidemic this week.  At 9:30 p.m., the news update came on.  I stopped in my tracks to hear that the weather forecast is highs in the mid 60's for the Portland area next week.

My hummingbird was a messenger!

And on Friday, Groundhog's day we will receive another message from another one of our animal friends.  I am guessing we are going to have an early spring - but I am predicting it will be a false early spring. First there will be a few days of frost and heavy rain before it gets here to stay.

It is so nice to walk in the light between student houses.  I feel like I am coming out of hibernation.

With my lifting spirits, I am ready to tackle the battle of my bulge.  I actually stepped on the scale this morning.  186.6 pounds. At my lightest during the course of this blog, I was down to 179.

I called my daughter and told her I am ready to lose more weight. She responded that she needs to lose 10-15 pounds of post pregnancy weight.

So we decided to create a contest. I admit, I have a bit of a competitive spirit.  Ask my son-in-law, who beats me every single game of Words with Friends!  Grrr....I will beat him yet!  He is my most formidable opponent!

Anyway, I would like to eventually lose 40 lbs.  But the contest is a race to lose 10 lbs. We will weigh in every Wednesday. The winner receives a one hour massage and a lunch (a healthy lunch!) from the loser.

I am starting my engine!

Pounds be gone!


Talk to you tomorrow!

Loves,

Zita



P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 223!  I am ready to take my hooping to the next level. Longer sessions! And when the weather gets warmer, I would like to start taking it to the running track again!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist