Skip to main content

Year Three: Day 259: Sleep Training a Wild Banshee

What a lovely Saturday I have had so far. And it is not yet even 9 a.m.!  Perhaps I should take the plunge and shift from night owl to early bird!

I had a lovely breakfast early this morning at Valerie's Restaurant in Vancouver with my mother. Before sunrise even! Those "potato chunks" were divine!

Then we went to watch Baby Gracie while my daughter went in to work for a few hours.

My most sleep deprived daughter!

I spent the night in my daughter and son-in-law's trailer last night. My daughter attempted her first night of "sleep training" with Baby Gracie last night. We dimmed the lights, put on a CD of lullabies played by saxophone. Then she fed, had a bedtime story, we sang her a song and said a prayer. Then her mom walked around the room so she could say goodnight to her daddy, me and her stuffed toys. Then she placed her gently in her crib with a blanket. We all smiled. We sat and looked at each other. It was so quiet!

It was also short lived. Soon the little trailer was filled with shrieking. Not crying. Baby Gracie doesn't cry. She screams. Like a wild banshee. Not that I've ever heard the scream of a wild banshee. But it's how I imagine it would sound.  But I'm content never coming face to face to face with a banshee. They are just figments of Irish folklore, after all. But most creepy!

Anyway, to make a long story short, Baby Gracie shrieked. We tried to console her by walking, rocking, singing, patting her back.

She was inconsolable. She knew what she wanted at bedtime. For her mama to nurse her to sleep.  Which she eventually did. She slept from about 10:30 until 4:00 a.m. At which point my daughter nursed her back to sleep. She was still sleeping at 6:30 a.m. when I went to breakfast.

Sleep training night number one was a failure.

I received a call from my daughter today around lunch time. She has not given up on the sleep training. Most determined is she!  She is doing much research. And taking videos of their progress. 

I will keep you posted!

But tonight I am looking forward to peaceful sleep. Without wild, shrieking banshees!

Tomorrow is a new day. And I will talk to you then!



P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 220!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…