Skip to main content

Day 214: FOCUS!

I just heard Nelson on 104.1 say we are in for a day of "normal rain" here in Portland, Oregon.

Happy Dance!

Today is my Salem day. I was looking at the weather report, trying to decide how to dress and what to pack.

Definitely my new rainboots and my bubble umbrella!

But I am going to pack light. I am very sore this morning. I did a very quick workout at the gym yesterday. I did some weights, focusing on back and biceps. But BEFORE the gym my daughter coaxed me into doing a workout to a youtube video she is using. Apparently the woman trains people like Jennifer Lopez. It was intense!

I don't know if I am sore from the gym, the J-Lo trainer woman, or my long commute in the rain yesterday. But today I just did some stretches on the balcony while trying to coax Honey Dawg outside for her morning business.  It was wet.  But  not raining. But still, she put one little paw gingerly on the wet deck and then backed into the house and sat down looking at me.

Maybe Honey Dawg needs rainboots!

This week I am focusing on, well, FOCUS!

I have so many things on my daily agenda, that I am starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. I had intended on going to Mass ever day in Advent. My life time goal is to work out every single day.
Pray everyday. Read the bible everyday. Practice piano everyday. Then there are those daily life things like dishes, showers, laundry. Oh, and my obsessive reading, blogging and social media.

I need to add at least 6 hours to my day.

So, we will try something new. Since I have several concerts looming, my FOCUS of the week is piano practice.

I will still attempt to include all my daily life activities, but piano practice is priority.

I also will start each day drinking a glass of warm lemon water. I have noticed a difference in my gut. It feels happier. And I lost another pound! 187 on the scale baby! :) I went to my weightcommander site and logged my weight. I realized I hadn't logged in for a few weeks and this one pound loss was actually the one pound I had gained, so the line is level for the last month.

But that graph still looks impressive. I set a new one month goal: 185 one month from now. I've been lowering my goals to a more realistic number. If you want to view my weightcommander site, here is the link: http://www.weightcommander2.com/d9/1047350941.php?flag=7

So, I am going to put in some piano practice, then head down to Union Station to catch the Amtrak to Salem.  I will have lunch at one of my Indian Buffet restaurants and then walk to the Salem transit center.  My walking today will be my exercise. And I am going to wrap my Kindle up in plastic, so I take it along for my reading time.

I will resign myself to two days of Mass this week, and get some prayer time in during my walking and commuting. I hope God understands.

I believe there is a balance in this life.  In order to live to the fullest, I need to develop my spiritual, mental, emotional and physical life. And a big part, which I often neglect is community.  I am beginning to realize that all my self improvement is useless, if I do not give back to others.

On that profound note, I am off and running! Er, practicing piano!


Happy Wednesday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...