Skip to main content

Day 228: My Father- An Update

My dad, Peter. Sorry for the blurry photo

My father is meeting with the physical therapist this morning. He is still weak, but has been having animated conversations with the nurses, doctors, and pretty much anyone that will listen. So, I know his time is not up yet. The speech therapist, after evaluating him, shook his hand and said,"Peter, I want to thank you for your intellect and articulate conversation", according t o my fact, she told me this morning that  she has never seen him so happy.

Honestly, my mother sounds twenty years younger. Much more joy in her voice, without the usual overtones of anxiety. I told her I had a whole troop of friends praying for him. "I can tell", she said.

She told me that when they first got him to the hospital, he was in atrial fibrillation ("Atrial fibrillation is an irregular and often rapid heart rate that can increase your risk of stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications"~

Then, suddenly she and the nurse watched as the EKG returned to normal sinus rhythm. I got goose bumps.I asked her if she was praying. She said "Yes."

I have been praying for my parents. Even before this incident. It seems that his stroke may be the best thing that ever happened to them. We shall see. 

But for now, we are awaiting the physical therapist' s report. He might be released today. But honestly another day at this wonderful facility couldn't hurt! 

I am going to take my niece for Birthday sushi lunch today. Then off to the gym for a long workout. I had a good session yesterday. Thirty minutes on the treadmill!

I had a checkup with a new doctor yesterday. We had a wonderful visit because I do not have any health issues. We talked about my exercise and healthy eating. He asked about the health of my parents. I told him my dad had just sufferedd a minor stroke and both parents were on blood pressure meds, although my dad never takes his. He asked if I took meds. I told him no. I used to take antidepressants, but weaned myself off of them. He asked me how I managed my depression.

 I looked at him and smiled. "Prayer, diet, exercise and a daily blog", I said proudly.

 I think he was impressed. He told me I had made his whole day! I am going in for blood work next week. Curious about my cholesterol. 

But I think I am on the right path. I want to be around for my family as long as God sees fit!

Happy Wednesday!

Peace, joy and lots of love!



Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…

Year Four, Day 41: The ER

This morning about 4 a.m. I woke up with severe stabbing pains in my jaw.  My whole head, face and neck felt like someone had it in a vice. And was turning the lever.

I had already taken a dose of Thera-Flu before bed. Since Wednesday morning is my time with Gracie, I wanted to make sure I was well rested.  I didn't want to be groggy on Gracie duty.
But with the pain I was experiencing, I was questioning how effective I would be at all. 
I was wide awake, holding my jaw as everything throbbed.  I made a decision to take another dose of Thera-Flu.  The package said I could take one dose every 4 hours.  
So I boiled some water and sat hunched over the kitchen table.  I poured the hot water over the powder. As I waited for it to cool, I put my face close to the cup. The hot steam gave my poor face a bit of relief. 
I was wondering if I had a sinus infection. My throat was sore and raw.  I was congested. Had a bit of a cough. The jaw pain was troubling. Last week when my allergies we…

Year Three, Day 308, 309 and 310: I'm Back...

...from the brink of death.

Most dramatic am I.  But I feel like I went to hell and back this weekend.

One mistake was to take over the counter medication (Tylenol, Thera-Flu and Ibuprofen) and drink massive caffeine in order to make it through teaching classes on Friday.

I felt really good until early evening. Then it felt like my head was going to explode. My cough returned with a vengeance, dragging along massive sneezing and nose dripping.

Then like a big dummy I downed another mug of Thera-Flu before bed. I didn't even consider cancelling Saturday breakfast with my mom. And definitely could not afford to cancel anymore piano lessons.

Oy, I felt miserable Saturday morning. But I managed to get up and stagger down the road to the bus stop just in time. I was halfway to our regular restaurant before I remembered it was St. Patrick's Day. I looked down at my outfit. Not a speck of my favorite color green. So, before I joined my mom, I stopped at Rite Aid in search of a little…