Skip to main content

Day 210: Changing the Channel

Day 210.  I have been on this self-improvement journey for seven months today!

And I plan on continuing.  I am quite proud of my discipline!  I have been going to the gym 5 to 6 days a week. On the days that I don't make it to the gym, I do extra walking and calisthenics.

I do not eat gluten.  I usually stop eating by 7:00 p.m.  Occasionally I allow myself a small meal when I get home, which is often after 9:00 p.m.  But I eat consciously. No more mindless munching on a bowl of buttered popcorn.(How in the world did I break that habit?)

Last night when I got home, I had a bowl of pinto beans, topped with beets, sauerkraut and olives.  It was surprisingly satisfying!

I still have many things to work on.  One of them is worry. I tend to have a one track mind when it comes to anxiety.

Yesterday, after my workout at the gym, I was getting ready to go teach piano. But I kept thinking about the most recent mass shooting in San Bernardino.  I am a fast reader. I have read massive accounts online about the story. I have listened to talk radio.  I have researched ISIS, and Islam.

My mind started to spin as I walked.  Trying to make sense of it all. Mostly trying to understand how someone could justify killing innocent people in the name of God.  I got angry again. And then I started to worry about the people who would be profiled because of their religion or race. And I started feeling guilty about being judgmental. My mind started spinning out of control. My pulse was racing. I could hardly breathe!

I thought, maybe I could listen to the news as I walked. I don't know why I thought this would calm me. But I think in my anxious state, my mind needed something to focus on. I reached into my purse for my cell phone. But, AACCK! I had forgotten my headphones at home!

I thought about running back to get them. But that would make me late. I actually considered stopping and buying another set, but scolded myself.  This has become another addiction for me.  Almost as strong as my food addiction.  This electronic information addiction.

 I had just made a vow to stay off of Facebook for the rest of the day. I get pulled in. And then I lose track of time.  The same goes for talk radio, believe it or not. I don't have a "smart phone". Thank goodness!  I just have an old flip phone. So I just use it for, well talking!  But it does have a built in radio.  I can keep up with the news while I walk.

One thing I do notice about my journey here is that I do not relax much.  When I am sitting or reclining, I am reading my kindle, on my computer or listening to talk radio. When I am at my piano, I am practicing for a concert.

The first leisurely activity I took part in recently was game night last night with my son, daughter and son-in-law.  The laughter was wonderful. I slept soundly last night. And when I woke up I had less pain.

So I am adding family time to my daily list!

But to backtrack to my leaving of the headphones, is that instead of panicking and spending needless money or stressing out, I "changed the channel". I told myself, "You don't have headphones, so the radio is out. Change the channel!"

So I did! I started thinking about the students I would teach that day.  I thought in detail of the lesson plan for the day, some games and started planning their upcoming recital in my head.

It worked!  I calmed down and focused. Then when anxious thoughts crept in, I "changed the channel" again.

I designated several channels to turn to, when negative obsessive thoughts invaded:

1. Piano Students
2. Piano music for upcoming performances (I try to "play" my pieces in my head. Yes, I am weird!)
3. Family. I imagine pleasant moments with family.  Especially random, funny incidents.
4. God.  This stopped me. Because God actually is the whole radio. I mean, I can talk to Him about every subject, even the negative stuff.  I may have to make a chart out of this.  Good stuff here!
5. Budget.  I can plan my budget. However, this often gives me anxiety. I will have to put this way down near the bottom. Or just turn it over to God when I get too stressed out!
6. Commuting. I like to plan my bus route in my head.  It has helped me more punctual, which is challenging when you depend on public transportation!
7. Food. Yes, I have a food channel in my brain. But this is where I plan my next meals and consider options if I am hungry and don't have a meal packed.


I could go on!  I think I will make a brain channel chart.  It sounds kind of crazy, but it really helped me get past a near panic attack today.

 Aside from the anxiety,  I am wanting to increase the exercise. I am looking forward to the New Year's Eve run.  So I need to start training harder.

I was also noticing that I was feeling dehydrated yesterday when I was teaching group piano classes. I usually bring a thermos of hot tea and/or bottled water, but I wanted to travel light.  But I didn't have much time in between classes to run down the hall for a drink (of water, lol).

So more water!

Ironically, when I got to the music center where I teach, I found my headphones tucked in my sweater pocket.

I would not have thought of switching brain channels if I had discovered them earlier. Coincidence or not, I am so glad this played out this way.

I may have to create a brain playlist!

Happy Saturday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i