Skip to main content

Day 215: Another Glove Story





I worked out this morning at 6:30 a.m.

I had a really good strong workout. I actually sweated!  I did an 8 minute mile on the elyptical machine.  I was really burning!  And then I did some weights - Chest and tricep. And I finished with crunches!

It was raining steady, not heavy, but steady. Not too cold.  I was waiting for the bus to go to Mass when the wind picked up. There were 3 or 4 of us huddled under the shelter of a bus stop.  I called the "transit tracker" to find out when the bus was due. 9 minutes.  I could handle it. I had my sensible rubber boots, my bubble umbrella and my sparkly gloves. But the young lady next to me was shivering. She glanced at me and asked when the bus was arriving.  I told her. She said she had been waiting over a half hour because she missed her last bus. She kind of chuckled, but I she looked cold and miserable. She was wearing leggings, a t-shirt and an old hooded sweatshirt. She had a bag full of soggy looking items.  We talked about the weather a bit. She was very sweet and friendly. I showed her my new boots. She had really old ones.  She also didn't have any gloves.

No gloves! My chance to help! I asked her if she had any gloves just as the bus arrived. She said she did. "Ok", I said, "I just wondered if you needed a pair. I always buy extra and I have a brand new pair in my backpack." She looked back at me.

"Well, actually my gloves have holes in them", she said.

So on the bus, I pulled out a nice new pair of gloves. They were blue and green. She put them on and smiled.  "They look nice on you", I said.

She thanked me and we chatted for awhile. "You are really easy to talk to", she said. "I don't know if anyone has ever told you that".

Then she popped up to exit the bus. We waved goodbye.  And my heart soared.

These little moments of giving. They give me so much joy. I hope as much as the receiver.

I went to Mass and for the first time in my entire life, I was present with each and every word. It really sunk in.

Then I went to a school, to rehearse with grades 1 - 3 for the "Portland Musical".  I am taking a break at the library before my evening students.

But I think my glove story is sufficient for today. Tomorrow is another day.  I think I'd better stop at the store and buy more gloves!


Happy Thursday! :)

Peace and Joy!

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...