Skip to main content

Day 215: Another Glove Story

I worked out this morning at 6:30 a.m.

I had a really good strong workout. I actually sweated!  I did an 8 minute mile on the elyptical machine.  I was really burning!  And then I did some weights - Chest and tricep. And I finished with crunches!

It was raining steady, not heavy, but steady. Not too cold.  I was waiting for the bus to go to Mass when the wind picked up. There were 3 or 4 of us huddled under the shelter of a bus stop.  I called the "transit tracker" to find out when the bus was due. 9 minutes.  I could handle it. I had my sensible rubber boots, my bubble umbrella and my sparkly gloves. But the young lady next to me was shivering. She glanced at me and asked when the bus was arriving.  I told her. She said she had been waiting over a half hour because she missed her last bus. She kind of chuckled, but I she looked cold and miserable. She was wearing leggings, a t-shirt and an old hooded sweatshirt. She had a bag full of soggy looking items.  We talked about the weather a bit. She was very sweet and friendly. I showed her my new boots. She had really old ones.  She also didn't have any gloves.

No gloves! My chance to help! I asked her if she had any gloves just as the bus arrived. She said she did. "Ok", I said, "I just wondered if you needed a pair. I always buy extra and I have a brand new pair in my backpack." She looked back at me.

"Well, actually my gloves have holes in them", she said.

So on the bus, I pulled out a nice new pair of gloves. They were blue and green. She put them on and smiled.  "They look nice on you", I said.

She thanked me and we chatted for awhile. "You are really easy to talk to", she said. "I don't know if anyone has ever told you that".

Then she popped up to exit the bus. We waved goodbye.  And my heart soared.

These little moments of giving. They give me so much joy. I hope as much as the receiver.

I went to Mass and for the first time in my entire life, I was present with each and every word. It really sunk in.

Then I went to a school, to rehearse with grades 1 - 3 for the "Portland Musical".  I am taking a break at the library before my evening students.

But I think my glove story is sufficient for today. Tomorrow is another day.  I think I'd better stop at the store and buy more gloves!

Happy Thursday! :)

Peace and Joy!



Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…