Skip to main content

Day 227: On Aging Parents-Please Pray for Mine!

My father is in the hospital. Last night my mother came home and found him. He was passed out on the floor in front of his recliner. My dear, tougher than nails mother singlehandedly got him on his feet, out the door and to the emergency room.

I am so  relieved. This could have had a very different outcome. We talked about her asking for help next time. They live about half an hour away, in Vancouver, WA. They are in their mid seventies. This was a good wakeup call for keeping them safe and healthy as they age. My next phone call was to my brother. He and his wife are pharmacists at the VA Hospital. He had talked to her too. He has good advice since he works with vets who are discharged from the hospital. He and I are going to go to their house and do a safety check. Of course, they say they are fine and don't need help. 

To this we say, "Ha!"  

Being proactive does not hurt and may save their lives. We want our kids to have grandparents around for as long as possible. We are also going to have a family meeting at out Christmas gathering. First item of business: A phone tree- more valuable than a Christmas tree! 

I was a caregiver for a few years. It was difficult emotionally, but rewarding spiritually. And it gave me a corresponding of what to expect with my own aging parents. So between the two of us, my brother and I are well armed. And we will educate our kids, who in turn will be able to care for us, when the time comes.

The circle of life is ongoing. But for now all is well. I told my mother we are here for them. Nut the best thing she can do is rest and care for herself. My father is safe and in good hands. And hey, maybe the nurses and see doctors can get my stubborn dad to take his blood pressure meds! Pardon me, but I need to vent:

Thank you. I feel better. Now, off to the gym.

Happy Tuesday! ARRRRGGGH!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Three, Day 225: Hallelujah

I am sitting alone at a Starbucks in Vancouver, Washington. A most moving rendition of Hallelujah, sung by Pentatonix is flowing through the speakers, and into my heart.

I can't remember ever feeling so content. Soon I will walk out into the snow and catch a bus to my daughter's house where she, her husband and Baby Gracie are getting ready for dinner.

Our traditional Christmas Eve pho was cancelled. So was the candlelight service at their church.

Snow on Christmas Eve! So lovely. And so wonderful that I have been given this gift of solitude. No place I need to be, but family who I love and who loves me, always welcoming each other.

Salmon encrusted with herbs at McGraths Fish House We started a new tradition yesterday after my homeless concert. Girl lunch at McGraths Fish House with my daughter, Baby Gracie, my mother and I. We had a wonderful time. It's my mother's favorite lunch spot in Vancouver. I followed her lead and ordered the salmon encrusted with herbs. It d…