Skip to main content

Day 227: On Aging Parents-Please Pray for Mine!

My father is in the hospital. Last night my mother came home and found him. He was passed out on the floor in front of his recliner. My dear, tougher than nails mother singlehandedly got him on his feet, out the door and to the emergency room.

I am so  relieved. This could have had a very different outcome. We talked about her asking for help next time. They live about half an hour away, in Vancouver, WA. They are in their mid seventies. This was a good wakeup call for keeping them safe and healthy as they age. My next phone call was to my brother. He and his wife are pharmacists at the VA Hospital. He had talked to her too. He has good advice since he works with vets who are discharged from the hospital. He and I are going to go to their house and do a safety check. Of course, they say they are fine and don't need help. 

To this we say, "Ha!"  

Being proactive does not hurt and may save their lives. We want our kids to have grandparents around for as long as possible. We are also going to have a family meeting at out Christmas gathering. First item of business: A phone tree- more valuable than a Christmas tree! 

I was a caregiver for a few years. It was difficult emotionally, but rewarding spiritually. And it gave me a corresponding of what to expect with my own aging parents. So between the two of us, my brother and I are well armed. And we will educate our kids, who in turn will be able to care for us, when the time comes.

The circle of life is ongoing. But for now all is well. I told my mother we are here for them. Nut the best thing she can do is rest and care for herself. My father is safe and in good hands. And hey, maybe the nurses and see doctors can get my stubborn dad to take his blood pressure meds! Pardon me, but I need to vent:

Thank you. I feel better. Now, off to the gym.

Happy Tuesday! ARRRRGGGH!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...