Skip to main content

Day 223: Still Alive!


Was in a hurry yesterday. I was achy in the morning yet again, so got up late. Too late, in fact to make it to the gym on the bus, back home to shower and change and then to the school for the afternoon performance of the Portland Musical I was accompanying.

I knew I needed to get some exercise.  And, although it sounded like a monsoon outside (there have been flood warnings in the greater Portland area), I put on my rain parka, rain boots and scarf and hightailed it to the trail! I did a good mile. The cold rain got my sore, tired feet moving quite briskly.

And I am a better woman for it!

Both performances went really well. I was so inspired that I called my daughter during the break. When she was in third grade, her class performed the Portland Musical. And I was the accompanist! Such nostalgia!

Oh, but that was about 18 years ago.  Portland has changed a lot since then. I found out that the director, Jeanne bought the rights to the musical from the original composer, Ralph Nelson. And she has brought it up to date.

The kids talked about the flood of 1996 and how Vera Katz pleaded with the public to come down to the Willamette River and help save Portland.

They sung some songs about the continuous rain in Portland. Highly appropriate for today, I might add!

Anyway, the reason I called my daughter is I just had this bright idea for our family Christmas celebration.

I may have mentioned my introverted nature. Odd person I am. I am uncomfortable at dinner parties and get togethers.  But I enjoy teaching and being on stage.  I am fine one-on-one and with immediate family and close friends.  But if we play games or have a theme or an activity, I feel much better. So what better way to unite us and ease my social anxiety than to put on a family version of the Portland Musical!

My daughter was on board! I was thrilled. I decided I would edit it. Cut out a lot. (The musical at the school took over an hour).  I thought I would just put in the really interesting facts.  But alas, my son and son-in-law kind of rolled their eyes and said "well, maybeee..." then they went back to watching the Blazers.

Sigh.

I still have time to talk them into it.

Today, the only thing on the agenda besides Mass and the gym is a rehearsal for my piano students this afternoon. We have a recital coming up this weekend.

Aside from that, I have wide open spaces on the calendar. I LIKE!

Perhaps this would be a good day for a massage.  Anyday is a good day for a massage, really. But my neck, back, feet and shoulders feel like they have been run over by a truck. And then the truck went into reverse...

But whining will not get me anywhere. I need to start my day.

It is very wet outside. And cold. Dark too.

But I am alive!

Happy Friday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i