Skip to main content

Day 233: Feeding Frenzy





Yesterday was a family day.  A lot of good bonding went on. Thankfully I did get to the trail first thing.  It was very cold, but dry. I walked a brisk mile and then headed back.  I even made it to Mass in the morning.

Then I met my son for breakfast.  We went to Tom's. A family favorite.  One tradition I miss is back to school dinner at Tom's. Every year, I would pick up my kids after school on the first day and we would head to Tom's.  I enjoyed hearing about their new teachers, friends and looking through all their papers.

Tom's is owned by a Greek family. They just celebrated their 40 year anniversary.  They gave out free mugs.  It's typical diner food with a Greek slant. I am partial to their feta omelettes. And in my pre gluten-free days, I would love me a plate of their Greek Spaghetti! The staff and owners are very personable . We feel like family when we dine at Tom's! (No, they didn't pay me to say that!)

http://www.tomsrestaurant.net/

We both had the special omelette: Spinach, tomatoes and swiss cheese and hash browns. My son had toast and Greek lemon chicken soup. I just had the omelette and hash browns.

Then we stopped at home to check on the dog. My daughter and her husband were at the horse races. Their new cheap date idea.  It sounds like fun. No admission, food and you can bet low on the horses and meet them before they race!  I was planning on joining them today, but needed to go see my dad and mom.

So we checked on the dog and met my nephew up the street.  We drove over to the hospital in Vancouver.  When we were right in the middle of the I-205 bridge between Oregon and Washington, snow began to fall lightly.

We don't get much snow around here. It definitely brightened our mood. It was very light . And quite wet.  We weren't too concerned with accumulation. But I told the guys that we should not spend too much time over in Vancouver because my nephew had to drive back to Lake Oswego, where the snow might be sticking. He was driving a small truck, which is not snow savvy.  My son has a Subaru Outback, 4-wheel drive, but no driving in the snow experience.

Suffice it to say, I prayed a full rosary on the freeway. And then some. 

My dad was in good spirits. This is a miracle in itself.  He was mellow and did not seem one bit irritated. He is on antidepressants. I think he should continue. For his own sake and the sake of the whole family.

His BP was still a little high, but much lower than yesterday, my mother told me.  We visited with him and then my mother took us to lunch. Elmer's.

Ok. I think this is my official day off from my diet. I had a bunless mushroom swiss burger. But I also had fries. And half of my mom's cheesecake.

Seriously. I am on a binge. I just had to get that out.  But I need to cut myself some slack.  The holidays do stress me out. Add to that, a cranky old dad in the hospital and I'm surprised my head isn't buried in a bag of Salt and Vinegar potato chips! I drank some tea and copious amounts of water before bed. But I also had a peanut butter fudge fat bomb.  Not as bad a fudge. Quite healthy actually. And I used less sugar thatn was called for. But I also had a piece of pizza. It was almost impossible to resist. My son-in-law had cooked it in the smoker. Smoked pizza! I was in heaven.

But my belly is not so happy with me.

At least I am sticking with my workouts.  They are my lifeboat.

My dad is to be released from the hospital today.  We are going to go over and help my mom. My dad is a bit of a hoarder.  I hadn't been to their house in over a year. A lot of hoarding can happen in a year.  We are going to have to have a serious conversation.  Does one really need 300 vcr's and thousands of videos (VHS nonetheless!).

Oy.  My tummy hurts just thinking about it. But they are my parents. They took care of me. Now I will take care of them. If they let me!

But today will begin with Mass and a workout.  I think I will buy copious amounts of vegetables. The focus of the week will be salads and soup.  I am going to attempt to make bone broth.

 Perhaps overeating is a form of hoarding.  Fear of doing without?  Hmmm. Some food for thought there. At least food for thought has zero calories!

Happy Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 156: Thank God for COPD and 120 Days of Daily Hooping

10:00 a.m.

Today has been a very good day so far.

I am here at my daughter and son-in-law's church.


I have Baby Gracie duty. It is a pleasure! I had not seen her in four days. Such a difference those days made! I arrived at their trailer before church. I went straight to her crib and said,"Hi Gracie, your grandma is here!"

I scooped her up and noticed her looking intently up at my face. Like she was studying me. I continued talking to her and her face lit up with recognition!

My heart leapt for joy!

I danced with her around the living room, softly singing our theme song ("The Bunny Hop"). When I got to the "hop, hop, hop" part she would grin.




Earlier, I took the Max to Cascades Station. Had a cup of Earl Grey tea and a gluten free breakfast sandwich at Starbucks. It was such a beautiful morning. Clear, crisp and chilly. Sun shining brightly.

I love this time of year!  I did cough quite a bit last night. The Prednisone has taken the edge off, but does …