Skip to main content

Day 234: Breathing Deeply and Smelling the Pho!


Pho Hung: 4717 SE Powell Blvd,


The bone broth turned out better than I had imagined! I used lamb chops. I baked them and then threw them in the crockpot with one half of a minced onion and two cloves minced garlic. Covered the whole shibang with water and left it on low all day.

The kids and I drove over to Vancouver to see my mom and dad. My dad was released yesterday. That sounds funny, like he just got out of prison. But he says it felt like prison because they kept tabs on him. And if he tried to get out of bed, the alarms would sound off.  But he didn't seem too upset. The nurses were really good to him. I overheard this conversation the other day as we were leaving:

Dad: "Why do you have to fuss over me so much?"

Nurse: "Because we love you!"

Dad: "You just love the IDEA of me!"

That made me laugh.  He must be feeling better, because he is back to his wise cracks.

Yesterday we went over to offer support to my mom and clear out some more of the vcr's and videos.

He was sitting in his recliner, covered with a blanket when we arrived.  My mom showed me the setup and all of his meds.  He had a walker. And a urinal.  Oy.

Apparently the downstairs bathroom is not functioning, so he also has a portable commode.  Double oy.

But that is wise. He should not be going upstairs anytime soon. She had made him a nice bed on the sofa. Surrounded by piles of videos. We got to work making a wider path and checking the floors for any bumps that he might get his walker stuck on. The men piled a good deal of vcrs and videos in the back room.

It looked a lot safer when we were done. But we will have a family member go over every day this week. At least to give my mom a break.

I got in a brief workout in the morning.  We are planning to go over again tomorrow, but I told everyone I have to get to the gym first if they want me to be pleasant.

After we visited with my parents, I went to Jiffy Lube with my son. He pulled up and asked for the standard oil, lube and filter. The very nice attendant told us we could wait in the waiting room. He motioned us over and said they had coffee and hot cocoa.

So I marched right on over and bounced off the sliding glass door!  The attendant came running. He said, "Did that really just happen?" Boy was my face red! I was fine, except for my pride. The sliding door was shut. I thought it was open. I must be stressed!

After my encounter with the closed sliding glass door, my son and I went out for Pho. Our all time favorite restaurant (even higher up than Tom's!) is Pho Hung on SE Powell.  Best Pho in Portland! I believe it was the first pho restaurant in Portland. We have been going there for over 20 years.  If ever I feel like I coming down with a cold or sore throat, I head to Pho Hung. And order extra onions and dollops of hot sauce in  my soup.  It kicks that bug nearly every time. Plus, it is very yummy! And the aroma is divine. They are just up the street from St. Ignatius, the church I have been attending lately. When I walk by early in the morning, the smell of their simmering broth wafts out and seems to surround me, permeating my senses. I often salivate. Pho Hung is a happy, friendly place. The staff all knows us. Another family joint! And last night the cashier gave me a hug and a discount. No reason, other than he is very kind. He is a Jehovah's Witness. I have many witness friend's. I studied the bible with several over the years. Sometimes I would run into my Pho Hung friend at kingdom hall. Jehovah's Witnesses are misunderstood as a group. As are Catholics. And homeless people. I have learned more about God's love, Jesus, and biblical truths from these people than some who claim to be Christians. Not all. No group defines all of its members. See the individual, I always say.

Ok. Sermon is over.


Back home I fished the meat and onions out of the bone broth.  I tossed the bones and onions. I cut up the meat and boiled some water. Added potatoes, carrots and celery. When they were done, I drained the pot and added a cup of bone broth, salt, pepper and a can of diced tomatoes.  I cooked that for a few minutes.

I was still full from pho, but my son, daughter and son-in-law made yummy sounds as they ate the stew. My son-in-law said it tasted like venison. He is a bow hunter. He loves his game!


So overall yesterday was a success. I still over ate. My tummy is still bloated. But all my family members are safe and sound. 

Today I will workout and attempt to eat healthier.  I am going to try sipping cups of bone broth before meals. I've been researching the health benefits and potentiala l weight loss attributed to bone broth consumption. Wow, that was a profoundly pompous sentence!

You know, I have been very worried about my family. I have a knot in my gut from anxiety. I recite a prayer when it gets overwhelming.  Today I will also breathe deeply and try to stay in the present moment.  I need to write in my prayer journal.  And practice my piano too! But for now, I shall get vertical and start my day.

Happy Tuesday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i