Skip to main content

Day 213: Boots on the Ground!

My new boots

I went out to lunch yesterday with my kids.  We went to Chang's Mongolian Grill. It was raining buckets.  Right before we left, the UPS truck drove up and delivered my new boots! An early Christmas gift from my daughter, my son-in-law and my son.

I was so happy all day. There was standing water everywhere. But my feet remained dry! And the boots are comfortable too! They have nice high arches.

It made such a difference in my day to travel about in a sensible, comfortable fashion. I travelled light. I had my new boots, my bubble umbrella,  a light meal of yogurt, cheese, gluten free crackers, and grapefruit slices, my thermos full of hot green Jasmine tea and some stickers for my students.

I hardly  missed my Kindle.

l listened to the radio during my commute. Mostly NPR. And Clyde Lewis. His program last night was about the dark side of Christmas. He spoke about the "Krampus". As usual, very thought provoking. But also rather creepy. I switched over to 104.1 The Fish and listened to some classical Christmas carols to restore my inner peace. (I am learning from my revelation in my prior post to "change the channel". In this instance, literally!)

Here is the link for Clyde' s site, if you dare!
http://www.groundzeromedia.org/dark-christmas-the-gnomes-of-krampus-and-belsnickel/

Global warming isn't so bad. Although it was coming down in buckets yesterday (3 inches in 12 hours)and many roads closed, (Johnson Creek flooded), the temperature was lingering pleasantly in the upper 50's all day.

It's drizzling this morning, but it feels like a warm shower. The high today will be 62°. In December. Never a dull moment here in Portland, Oregon.

Last night, when I got home, I found a letter from the City of Portland advising residents what to do in case of a flood.

We had a little family meeting and talked about our plan of action should disaster strike. I felt pretty well informed. After all, I do work for the City of Portland. We have fire drills. And at the last faculty meeting we talked about what to do in case of an earthquake and (AAACK!) what to do in case of an active shooter.

But my question is, what if I become all befuddled. What if I try to fight a tsunami? Or what if during an active shooter situation I stop, drop and roll?

We are living in precarious times.  Awareness is vital. I feel good that we did talk about different situations. Next steps are weekly drills, written family plan and bug out bags!

As I have mentioned often in this blog, I do best with a plan! And I plan to survive! And I want to save my family and friends and dog and anyone else by encouraging them to plan.  There are many websites that encourage family meetings and planning.  FEMA has a website with printable wallet sized "Family Communication" documents.  http://www.ready.gov/make-a-plan

Happy Tuesday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i