Skip to main content

Day 216: I'm in it for the Cookies!



Christmas sugar cookies 2014. 

Such a busy time of year. Tis the season to be stressed, some say!

But I feel happy today. I've noticed that here in Portland, when the weather is unusual, people are unusually friendly.

The weather has been unusually strange lately! Portland is known for it's rain. But really, it's usually just overcast with a light drizzle.  The rain we have been having over the past few weeks is a steady DOWNPOUR.  Many Portlanders go through most of their lives without umbrellas.  As a walker and a commuter, this is no longer possible for me. Even my bubble umbrella doesn't quite cut it! I have to wrap everything in plastic in my backpack. Especially my music and my Kindle.

Today was another rainy, blustery day. But thankfully not too cold. And everywhere I went I was met with jolly, friendly looking people!

I have noticed that I have become inordinately attached to my routine.  So this morning, when my alarm clock went off at 5:30 a.m. and I was wiped out and sore, I felt extremely guilty with my decision to miss my pre Mass workout.

But I told myself I could work out later. So I reset my clock.

But then...I just couldn't get myself to get up for Mass. I reset it again, telling myself I could do some prayer later. Plus, I did need my energy for all my upcoming peformances.

Finally, at 9:00 a.m. I dragged myself out of bed with the intention of practicing piano, drinking some warm lemon water, blogging and then heading to the gym.

But my daughter also emerged from her bedroom at the same time. Her husband and her had plans for hunting early this morning, but he decided to cancel that in lieu of sleeping in.

Really, I think human beings were designed to hibernate in the winter!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I am glad we all slept in. My daughter and I went to the gym together. She has been running daily. She ran on the treadmill next to my eliptical  machine.

I forgot how competitive I can be. I kept glancing at her monitor and tried to stay ahead of her. We did a mile. She beat me by a mere 2 minutes.  Her mother, 28 years her senior came in at 14 minutes. She did 12 minutes. Not bad.

But I was sweating profusely!

I did some ab work and stretching. Then we went grocery shopping. There is a Grocery Outlet right next to the gym. We went in for yogurt.

$60 later we emerged with many great deals! Yogurt, cheese, Kefir, hummus, oranges, gluten free bars,... oh my!

Then I was off to teach piano.  I had planned on running up to the library to work on my recital programs for my piano students' upcoming recital. Our printer doesn't work, so when I need something printed, I use the free computers at the library.

But the standing water made for slow bus travel.  I opted instead for lunch out:  a salad bar at Fred Meyer's. It seems like a lot of people had that same idea. I got a nice salad for $6.00 and walked into their eating area.  Lots of people.  Talking and smiling.

This is odd for Portland. People are not UNfriendly. But generally keep to themselves.  It was like a big party right there in ol' Freddy's.  There is a Peet's Coffee shop in the eating area. I treated my self to a hot cider spiced tea. Basically hot apple cider with a tea bag and a cinnamon stick.

I sat there and ate and sipped tea and smiled at all the friendly faces.

Then I was off to teach group piano at the Community Music Center.

It was the last day of the term. My students were all in high spirits. I gave them all candy canes at the end of the class.

I'm feeling really good about this time of year. Sometimes I wonder if I will make it through all the lessons, preparing my students for performance.  But really that is the best part. I can sit back and enjoy the fruit of my labor.

It is important to me to ease the fear factor for my students. I was always deathly afraid of recitals as a kid. I still have nightmares of the long path I walked in silence to the piano. We were not allowed to bring our sheet music. I got so nervous, I often forgot half my piece. I remember many tears.

I tell my students I don't care about the mistakes. We are listening for the beautiful music in between. If they make a mistake (we all do!), just keep going, or stop and go back. It is a teaching school, after all.  I sit on stage with my beginning students.  And I have the audience clap as they walk to the piano and of course, afterwards. We make lots of enthusiastic noise.

And of course there are cookies afterwards. I had one of my little boy students say last week, "I'm in it for the cookies!"

I'll have to make sure I make some gluten free, almond flour chocolate chip cookies for the recital.  Note, the picture above is from 2014. My daughter and I made oodles of sugar cookies for presents. That's before I went gluten free.  I will take pictures of my GF almond flour cookies next weekend!

After all, aren't we all in it for the cookies?

:)

Happy Friday!

Zita



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...