Skip to main content

Day 218: Death by Chocolate



One of three gift boxes I received from my wonderful students! :)


I like to be real on this blog. But I am tempted to just talk about the good stuff. My accomplishments, my epiphanies, the people I help, the pounds I lose. Good stuff like that.

But I need to be honest here. I am struggling with chocolate overload. I have some dear sweet students who have been giving me boxes of chocolates for early Christmas gifts. Last week I got a box of Godiva chocolates. This week I got two boxes of Hershey's Pot of Gold.

I shared a few Godiva chocolates with the wonderful people at the Salem Amtrak station.  They were most appreciative!

The Hershey's I shared with my kids. But my daughter has an annoying habit of taking one bite out of a piece and then putting it back in the box. Who does that? lol  Well at least she has the will power to stop at one bite!

I have eaten probably a dozen pieces of chocolate in the last 3 days. Not proud of myself.  I didn't think I had a problem with binge eating on sugary substances.  I seem to have kicked the potato chip and popcorn mindless face cram.

But these chocolates talk to me. They call my name! The best solution is to give them away. I just can't seem to control myself.

I have a box of chocolates on the table right now. I had a nice healthy dinner last night. Steak, a baked potato, salad, and edamame. And three pieces of chocolate.  The scary part is I always feel really weird after eating them. I don't think it's just the guilt and shame. I feel irritable and restless. Then I get really tired.

Ok. Confessing this feels good. I have made so much progress in my life over the past 7 months. This is just another speed bump.

I guess I didn't think I had a problem with chocolate, because I never buy it.  There is never chocolate laying around the house. Of course, if it was, it would get eaten!

I don't think I am going to do myself any favors by eating all the chocolate I see over the holidays.  I will just see if I can allow myself one piece after dinner.  If that is too difficult, I will just give it away.

But I do love my students for making me feel like a very special teacher.  :)

And on a more positive note...

Yesterday I accompanied the Francis Street Singers in a concert at the Community Music Center. I felt very focus and prepared. It went really well. The children's choirs performed too. We will be doing our own concert in a few days. Which I am very happy about, because I feel like I am just getting to know the music.  And it has touched me deeply. I would like to perform it again!

My favorite was "O Whistle and I'll Come to Ye" from "Three Scottish Folk Songs" by Mack Wilberg.  The piano part was so beautiful.  All three songs are written for choir accompanied by two people on piano. The director and I did the duet. :)  Here is a youtube video of the USC Chamber Singers performing "O Whistle..." Our performance was a tad slower, which I actually prefer.


So today I plan on avoiding chocolate.  I also plan on going to the gym after Mass.  The gym and Mass are keeping me sane.

Another confession: I get a little depressed around the holidays.  I fight it, but it is there.  Music also helps. Chocolate is a short term fix, but actually makes me feel worse later. I felt really low last night after my three chocolate attack.  Maybe it's the guilt. Or the sugar. Or the shame. Or all three.

Our chamber group has it's Holiday Fundraiser today. I am looking forward to it. I am going to get dressed up.  I will try to get a picture to post. I am thinking about getting myself a digital camera as a present to myself. A reward for all of my hard work. I have an old flip phone that I was taking pics with, but the quality was not so good and new it doesn't have enough memory.

But now I need to start moving.

I wonder if the chocolate binging has been a reaction to stress. Holidays. Performance anxiety. Yes I still get that.

So after tonight's performance, I'm going to take a look at my schedule and find time for a massage!

TTFN! :)

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i