Skip to main content

Day 272: Kicking Chronic Pain in the Butt!







I've been having vivid, intense dreams lately.  One was of a friend driving off a cliff, thinking the road continued.  We fell in slow motion, looks of disbelief on our faces. Another was at a chamber music gig. There was only an electric grand piano, but no outlet to plug it in. The event was due to start any moment, and I had no power!  I kept searching for an outlet.  I finally found one, plugged in the cord and then went to the piano. But when I looked up, my chamber group had vanished along with most of the crowd.

I wake up from these dreams with my heart pounding.  And they stay with me.  But today's stretching piece, Chopin's Prelude, Opus 28, #15 for piano was inspired by a dream that Chopin had.  He made good use of his intense dream!

Here is the story:




"An intense dream may have been the inspiration for one of Chopin's biggest piano hits
Chopin's piano music is often dream-like, but his so-called 'Raindrop' Prelude might actually have been inspired by a rather intense dream the composer had.

He and his partner, George Sand, were holidaying in Majorca in 1838 when Frederic had something of an episode. As Sand would later recount: 'He saw himself drowned in a lake. Heavy drops of icy water fell in a regular rhythm on his breast, and when I made him listen to the sound of the drops of water indeed falling in rhythm on the roof, he denied having heard it.'

This has led many to speculate that the Prelude, Op. 28th No. 15 was directly influenced by Chopin's dream experience. Listening to the recurring A flat that permeates the whole piece, it would be hard to argue that Chopin wasn't at least aware of the similarity. Either way, this particular prelude has become synonymous with rainy imagery"  http://halloffame.classicfm.com/2015/chart/position/243/


Last night I stretched to one of my favorite Chopin pieces. It brings tears. I played it for one of my solo concerts a few years ago. I lamely felt tears well up at MY OWN playing! lol

Don't laugh. Let's see if you can make it through the piece without a tear! I just read an interesting blurb on Wikipedia about this piece: 

 "The piece was famously played by Holocaust survivor Natalia Karp for the Nazi concentration camp commandant Amon Goeth, with Goeth being so impressed with the rendition, that he spared Karp's life." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturne_in_C-sharp_minor,_Op._posth._%28Chopin%29)

I think I will start studying this piece again. I need to get going with my goal of memorization. This would the perfect one to start with! A plan! I love a plan! :)



Chopin Nocturne Number 20 in C-sharp mino




Now on to pain.  I have been complaining about joint pain for quite a bit of these 272 days.  Especially over the last several weeks since my blood draw. My left elbow has been quite sore. And my neck and upper back much stiffer than usual.  I had been taking NSAIDS nightly to keep myself going.  A body in motion tends to stay in motion, right?

But my nurse practitioner friend was concerned about my kidneys.

We talk once a week after her son's lesson. She gives me a ride to my next family's house. We have wonderful talks. Usually about me!  And my pain. Lately I've been trying to not talk about my pain. I'd hate to become a bore!  (Probably too late for that, sigh)

But she asked me how I was feeling.  I told her that I feel like I've been run over by a semi-truck every morning.  And if I don't stretch and take epsom salts baths, I feel like that truck ran me over again. In reverse.

She suggested I keep track of my cycle of pain.  She also suggested a low dose of Ibuprofen. Either 2 200 mg tablets at bedtime. Or 1 200 mg at bedtime and one in the morning, since mornings are the worst.

So I took 1 last night, and 1 this morning at 4:00 a.m. And it helped quite a bit. I did my normal stretching and then headed to the gym with my daughter. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and a little bit of light weights, crunches and more stretching.

I am going to keep this dose up for the next week and see if I can get past the pain and into better workouts. Then I will taper off the Ibuprofen.  Especially after reading warnings like the following!

"Do not take more than your recommended dose. An ibuprofen overdose can damage your stomach or intestines. The maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 milligrams per dose or 3200 mg per day (4 maximum doses). Use only the smallest amount needed to get relief from your pain, swelling, or fever."

On another note, I enjoyed my piano practice immensely with less pain.  So there is a balance in here somewhere. And I am determined to find it!

My hymn of the day is a perfect bedtime hymn.  "All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night. Words by Thomas Ken, 1674. Music by Thomas Tallis ("Tallis' Canon), 1567.


All praise to Thee, my God, this night,
For all the blessings of the light!
Keep me, O keep me, King of kings,
Beneath Thine own almighty wings.
Forgive me, Lord, for Thy dear Son,
The ill that I this day have done,
That with the world, myself, and Thee,
I, ere I sleep, at peace may be.
Teach me to live, that I may dread
The grave as little as my bed.
Teach me to die, that so I may
Rise glorious at the judgment day.
O may my soul on Thee repose,
And with sweet sleep mine eyelids close,
Sleep that may me more vigorous make
To serve my God when I awake.
When in the night I sleepless lie,
My soul with heavenly thoughts supply;
Let no ill dreams disturb my rest,
No powers of darkness me molest.
O when shall I, in endless day,
For ever chase dark sleep away,
And hymns divine with angels sing,
All praise to thee, eternal King?
Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

The tune is quite lovely too. I think I shall play this tonight at bedtime. Determined to wake up feeling like a spring chicken instead of a dead duck! :)


I weighed in at 187 pounds today. Hopefully kicking the pain in the butt will help me propel forward in my weight loss. 

Happy Friday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i