Skip to main content

Day 271: New Pictures to Celebrate Nine Months of Healthy Living! :) Feeling the Burn!

My train has arrived! Salem Amtrak Station
Riding in Style. :)


My office on board!


I had a wonderful day in Salem yesterday. The Amtrak bus was on time, and only a half dozen of us got on board. It took less then an hour from Union Station to the Salem Amtrak station.  The seats are cozy and the Wi-fi signal strong!  I must say, that as a commuter, this is bliss. Portland Tri-Met is pretty reliable, but when I travel outside of my inner southeast area and have to transfer, the trip is as long, if not longer than the trip to Salem. Plus on Tri-met there are many stops and no Wi-fi!

I got to Salem in plenty of time for a trip to the Taj Mahal for a lovely Indian food buffet. Then I walked downtown, past the capital to the transit station.

I was so happy to see my Salem students.  It had been nearly 2 months since our last lesson. The holidays happened. My dad's stroke happened, and then fatigue set in.

Life is simpler and a nice easy pace in Salem. It seems I breathe deeper. Overall, it was a rejuvenating experience!

After my last student, I actually made it back to the Amtrak station in time to catch the 5:15 train! This usually does not happen. I am usually waiting for the Salem buses, (Cherriots), which are not as timely as Portland's Tri-met.  I usually just miss the 5:15 train, and must wait for the 6:15 Amtrak bus. Not an issue. There is also Wi-fi at the Amtrak bus station.

I also packed my Beth Moore book, my prayer journal, and a small bag of unsalted mixed nuts.  And water.

Oh, did I mention one of my piano student's families just got an espresso machine? So, I was pampered. I got to sit in their lovely home, listening to them play piano while sipping on a scrumptious almond latte. Not a bad life!

Today is Day 271. I past the 9 month mark. I am looking forward to the next few months. I hope to shed more pounds and get stronger by my one year anniversary. I find my lifestyle is livable.  I don't fight my schedule as much as I used to.  Even though I have still not become that morning person!

Today's hymn of the day is: "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name". Words by Edward Perronet, 1779. Music by Oliver Holden, 1792.

I am quite familiar with this hymn as I have played it at nearly every church that I have been at.  It is a dramatic sounding hymn. On the organ, I like to let out all the stops on the last verse.

"All hail the power of Jesus’ Name! Let angels prostrate fall;
Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown Him Lord of all.
Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown Him Lord of all.

Let highborn seraphs tune the lyre, and as they tune it, fall
Before His face Who tunes their choir, and crown Him Lord of all.
Before His face Who tunes their choir, and crown Him Lord of all.

Crown Him, ye morning stars of light, who fixed this floating ball;
Now hail the strength of Israel’s might, and crown Him Lord of all.
Now hail the strength of Israel’s might, and crown Him Lord of all.

Crown Him, ye martyrs of your God, who from His altar call;
Extol the Stem of Jesse’s Rod, and crown Him Lord of all.
Extol the Stem of Jesse’s Rod, and crown Him Lord of all.

Ye seed of Israel’s chosen race, ye ransomed from the fall,
Hail Him Who saves you by His grace, and crown Him Lord of all.
Hail Him Who saves you by His grace, and crown Him Lord of all.

Hail Him, ye heirs of David’s line, whom David Lord did call,
The God incarnate, Man divine, and crown Him Lord of all,
The God incarnate, Man divine, and crown Him Lord of all.

Sinners, whose love can ne’er forget the wormwood and the gall,
Go spread your trophies at His feet, and crown Him Lord of all.
Go spread your trophies at His feet, and crown Him Lord of all.

Let every tribe and every tongue before Him prostrate fall
And shout in universal song the crownèd Lord of all.
And shout in universal song the crownèd Lord of all.
[John Rippon add­ed this verse in 1787]
O that, with yonder sacred throng, we at His feet may fall,
Join in the everlasting song, and crown Him Lord of all,
Join in the everlasting song, and crown Him Lord of all!"


There is an interesting story associated with this hymn:

"One of the most dra­ma­tic in­stanc­es of [this hymn’s] use was found in the ex­per­i­ence of the Rev. E. P. Scott in In­dia. His friends had urged him not to ven­ture near a cer­tain bar­bar­ous in­land tribe, whom he wished to evan­gel­ize. But he went forth with high cour­age, ne­ver wa­ver­ing in his du­ty, and trust­ing in God to pro­tect him. When at last he reached their coun­try among the hills, he came up­on a com­pa­ny of these sav­ag­es. Im­me­di­ate­ly they sur­round­ed him, point­ing their spears at him with threat­en­ing scowls. He had no­thing in his hand but his vi­o­lin; and so, clos­ing his eyes, he be­gan to play and sing, “All Hail the Pow­er of Je­sus’ Name.” When at last he opened his eyes he ex­pect­ed to be killed in­stant­ly. But his life had been spared through the sing­ing of the hymn. Their spears had dropped, and they re­ceived him first with cur­i­o­si­ty and in­ter­est, and then lat­er with ea­gern­ess, as he told them the gos­pel sto­ry and won their hearts to the will of Je­sus Christ."http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/a/h/ahtpojn.htm

I am doing my stretches this morning to Chopin's Ballad #1 in g minor.  It comes in at number 245 on Classic FM's Hall of Fame for 2015.  So lovely.  Great for some arduous stretching! I am still quite stiff and sore. Especially my neck and left elbow.  I'll give it a few more weeks and then I might have to call my doctor to see what is up with that!



Ok, as promised, here are some current pics. Forgive the silliness! I am feeling the burn - the calorie burn, that is!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist